Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Resumes

  • sylvia@ntw.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
      I hdan't looked at it that way, maybe because I can do it all and have
      done so many times and figured all other designers did so as well. That
      makes me look at my own skills and talents more positively and I will
      remember to enumerate them when redrafting my resume. Thanx!

      Sylrog

      > Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers
      > but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other
      > theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what
      > they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them
      > can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work
      > (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting
      > alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.
      >
      > And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even
      > though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general.
      > If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my
      > opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely
      > on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design
      > "in general."
      >
      > Kate Murphy
      >
      > sylvia@... wrote:
      >

      > Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
      > designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
        After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
        a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
        I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only after
        employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ... badly".
        What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
      • sylvia@ntw.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
          > I didn't mean to sound conceited but when you've been in the busines for
          over 25 years, as I have, one often has learned and done it all. I
          certainly wouldn't use that expression on a resume, but I am or have
          been a great designer and illustrator, a very good draper, an excellent
          stitcher, a painter/dyer, and a teacher. About the only thing I can't
          do well in costuming in the crafts end of the job, and I would love to
          learn more of that.

          Sylrog

          > After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
          > a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
          > I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only
          > after
          > employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ...
          > badly".
          > What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          > To visit your group on the web, go
          > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/
          > to:TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • David
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
            I too have been doing this professionally for nearly 25 years, and I
            am happy to report that I neither know, or have learned, it all. You
            didn't sound conceited. It is just a phrase which I have I heard far
            too often, from those who have no right to use it. If, in fact, you
            have done it all, I congratulate and admire you.