Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Resumes

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
      Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.

      And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general. If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design "in general."

      Kate Murphy

      sylvia@... wrote:

      Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
      designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
        I hdan't looked at it that way, maybe because I can do it all and have
        done so many times and figured all other designers did so as well. That
        makes me look at my own skills and talents more positively and I will
        remember to enumerate them when redrafting my resume. Thanx!

        Sylrog

        > Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers
        > but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other
        > theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what
        > they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them
        > can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work
        > (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting
        > alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.
        >
        > And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even
        > though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general.
        > If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my
        > opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely
        > on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design
        > "in general."
        >
        > Kate Murphy
        >
        > sylvia@... wrote:
        >

        > Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
        > designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
          After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
          a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
          I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only after
          employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ... badly".
          What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
        • sylvia@ntw.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
            > I didn't mean to sound conceited but when you've been in the busines for
            over 25 years, as I have, one often has learned and done it all. I
            certainly wouldn't use that expression on a resume, but I am or have
            been a great designer and illustrator, a very good draper, an excellent
            stitcher, a painter/dyer, and a teacher. About the only thing I can't
            do well in costuming in the crafts end of the job, and I would love to
            learn more of that.

            Sylrog

            > After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
            > a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
            > I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only
            > after
            > employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ...
            > badly".
            > What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            > To visit your group on the web, go
            > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/
            > to:TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • David
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
              I too have been doing this professionally for nearly 25 years, and I
              am happy to report that I neither know, or have learned, it all. You
              didn't sound conceited. It is just a phrase which I have I heard far
              too often, from those who have no right to use it. If, in fact, you
              have done it all, I congratulate and admire you.