Serger

  • aavalontheatre@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hello -
      does anyone know where I can purchase a good serger cheap?? Perhaps a 2nd
      hand one?? Or is there anyone in NYC who could allow me to use their's a few
      times to sew some costumes??? Free or perhaps for a small rental fee???

      Thanks -
      Andrew

    • Carla Pollard

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
          I (hooray!) have got a little $ for a 5 thread serger. Can't likely
          find or afford an industrial, not do I have the room for it. Can
          anyone give a review of the Singer Quantumlock 14T967DC 5/4/3/2
          thread serger (with extra 6 presser feet). I have read both glowing
          and total pan reviews of this machine, at the below site and other places: see:
          http://www.rateitall.com/i-1824193-quantumlock-serger-by-singer-14t967dc.aspx
          This would be for a low use liberal-arts school shop. We have 2 other
          sergers, 1 is diff feed - 4 thread Elna Babylock 634 and 1 is not
          diff feed; it's a 4 thread Omega and it's getting old. Initially we
          would likely use it the most for cover stitch, and a few other neat
          tricks, but later it may replace a general 4 thread machine when
          parts become too hard to find for them. Thanks for the feedback. Or
          the redirection to a review site.

          Anne Redish
          Theatre Wardrobe Coordinator
          Department of Drama, Rm 020
          Queen's University,
          Kingston, Ontario
          613-533-6000 x75359
          ar11@...
        • rebecca bunny flower
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
            If you're a member of sewing.patternreview.com, you can do a search under
            "machine reviews" for "14T967" and there are many reviews of it on there.

            Rebecca

            2009/2/20 Anne Redish <ar11@...>

            > I (hooray!) have got a little $ for a 5 thread serger. Can't likely
            > find or afford an industrial, not do I have the room for it. Can
            > anyone give a review of the Singer Quantumlock 14T967DC 5/4/3/2
            > thread serger (with extra 6 presser feet). I have read both glowing
            > and total pan reviews of this machine, at the below site and other places:
            > see:
            >
            > http://www.rateitall.com/i-1824193-quantumlock-serger-by-singer-14t967dc.aspx
            > This would be for a low use liberal-arts school shop. We have 2 other
            > sergers, 1 is diff feed - 4 thread Elna Babylock 634 and 1 is not
            > diff feed; it's a 4 thread Omega and it's getting old. Initially we
            > would likely use it the most for cover stitch, and a few other neat
            > tricks, but later it may replace a general 4 thread machine when
            > parts become too hard to find for them. Thanks for the feedback. Or
            > the redirection to a review site.
            >
            > Anne Redish
            > Theatre Wardrobe Coordinator
            > Department of Drama, Rm 020
            > Queen's University,
            > Kingston, Ontario
            > 613-533-6000 x75359
            > ar11@... <ar11%40post.queensu.ca>

          • Ally
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2009
              Anne,

              3 years ago, I bought this this machine and used it for approximately
              3 months and sold it. I hated it. I am experienced with sergers and
              coverstich machines and this machine is tempermental. I was able to
              figure out the threading because I have owned non-industrial sergers
              prior to this. I actually dreaded a breaking thread because I knew it
              was a pain to re-thread those loopers. I bought it specifically for
              the coverstich function.

              To be fair to Singer, I make skating costumes and the majority of my
              work is done on lycra and stretch fabrics. No matter how I adjusted
              the tensions and settings, I always had "teeth" showing once the
              fabric was serged. (That's when you slightly pull the 2 pieces of
              fabric you just serged to see how tight the stitch is.)

              I hope it's allowed for me to mention on this group, but if you are
              interested, I am selling a Babylock Evolve serger myself. If you need
              more information or additional opinions about that Singer machine,
              please contact me at allyskates@....

              I honestly wouldn't recommend this machine to anyone. I can still
              remember being up late at night on last mintue alterations for skating
              shows crying because of that machine.

              Ally.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Anne Redish <ar11@...>
              wrote:

              > I (hooray!) have got a little $ for a 5 thread serger. Can't likely
              > find or afford an industrial, not do I have the room for it. Can
              > anyone give a review of the Singer Quantumlock 14T967DC 5/4/3/2
            • rkeator
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
                Anne, what other machines have you looked at and what kind of money can you afford ? I have to agree with Ally on the Singer. I only need my serger occasionally but on the advice of a local dealer tried the Quantumlock and mainly for the coverstitch. I spent more time rethreading and cursing at it than I did using it for about nine days. A seamstress (and good neighbor)at the local garment factory( out of business now) highly recommended a Pfaff. Quite a bit pricier than the Singer but the time saved and the headaches it doesn't cause made it worth every extra dollar. And because of how nice it is to actually use a great little machine , I actually go looking for more projects to use it on.

                To be fair though there are no doubt some here who have used and not had problems with the Singer. Could be the materials or most likely in my case, user error.
                Randy(~:

                Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Serger

                > I (hooray!) have got a little $ for a 5 thread serger. Can't likely
                > find or afford an industrial, not do I have the room for it. Can
                > anyone give a review of the Singer Quantumlock 14T967DC 5/4/3/2

              • Kate
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
                  Hi Anne,
                  I have not heard good things about the Singer, although I have not used one myself.
                  I do love my Babylock.  I have had it for about 5 yrs and had another before this one for 1 yrs.  I have never had a moments problem with either one.  In fact, my daughter is still using the first machine.  They are easy to thread and the new ones have an automatic tension adjustment.  I have done everything from fine silk, chiffon, and bridal veil to heavy corduroy and denim.  I can't imagine trading it in for any other machine.

                  Kat
                  Massachusetts
                  ,_._,___

                • sy1wong
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
                    Anne

                    I would highly recommed any of the Babylock sergers with air threading.
                    It is well worth the extra cost. You didn't say if your students would
                    be using it, but the air threading makes the setup nearly foolproof.
                    Cannot recommend any of the Singer machines currently avialable, but
                    love the old vintage machines.

                    wrote:
                    > I (hooray!) have got a little $ for a 5 thread serger. Can't likely
                    > find or afford an industrial, not do I have the room for it. Can
                    > anyone give a review of the Singer Quantumlock 14T967DC 5/4/3/2
                    > thread serger (with extra 6 presser feet).
                  • Curtis
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
                      I've never used the five-thread model, but we've got a four-thread
                      machine that we bought several years ago. I have very mixed emotions
                      about it. When it's working right, it's a wonderful little machine
                      and it has done things for me that I'm sure the designers never intended.

                      However, it's EXTREMELY temperamental. The thread tension can be
                      extremely hit or miss, and it will drop out of tension for no
                      discernible reason and is near-impossible to get back in balance
                      again. The upper looper isn't too bad to re-thread...but the lower
                      one is a holy terror and I have spent as much as half an hour
                      re-threading it and getting the stitch to chain again properly. If
                      you're not somewhat mechanically inclined, I'd recommend staying away
                      from a Singer machine, since there are options out there that are more
                      user-friendly. There's nothing like the frustration of having
                      production come to a screeching halt because the serger goes out of
                      whack the day of the costume parade...we've managed to get it back in
                      order again, but it often ends up being a case of someone dropping
                      their project and just fiddling with the thing until they accidentally
                      happen across the right combination of tension adjustments, swear
                      words, and body position in line with the planets...
                    • Jessica Cowan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 24, 2009
                        I use a Janome MyLock 744D.  It's not an industrial grade, but I do work it hard.  I keep breaking the chaining fingers, but I'm sure it's my fault for putting too-heavy fabric through.
                        Jess