Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Resumes

  • lanorte1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
      In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:27:32 PM Central Standard Time, sylvia@...
      writes:
      > References are extremely important. I never interview anyone for whom I
      > can't get at least two positive verbal references in advance.
      >
      > Kate Murphy
      While I generally value references, I've learned to be somewhat skeptical of
      them - after all, who's going to list a reference who will say, "Yeah, she
      worked for me, and she was incompetent!" I was badly burned once hiring a
      director - resume looked good, I called two of her references, who spoke in glowing
      terms, etc. She turned out to be the Hindenburg of new hires. If she were
      only an imbecile, that would have been an improvement.

      I guess my point is, make sure you can trust the referance to be more loyal
      to you than to the prospective employee. It's the same as the theory of blind
      dates - be sure the person setting you up is closer to you than to the
      prospective date, so they'll put your best interests first.

    • amyjohnsonprf
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
        I usually hire for costume assistants and interns, so I need a
        fairely rounded skill level. But when looking for something specific
        like a draper and designer, then tailoring your resume is a great
        thing, but don't forget to list the extra skills somewhere.

        And about the graduation thing: I can understand why you would not
        wish to do it. We all have our reasons. My biggest complaint is the
        young ones. They have recently graduated, but they don't list it.
        Their work doesn't make sense on a time line. And I could go on. I
        guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. And I'll ask someone anyways
        when I talk to them.

        Another tip on resume's: Make sure it makes sense. Look at dates and
        times. I usually like to know what you are doing now, i.e.. listing
        things from present to past.

        AJ
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia <sylvia@n...>
        wrote:
        > About the graduation date thing: I don't like to put that down on
        resumes
        > for the opposite reason. I'm no spring chicken and am afraid it
        will work
        > to my disadvantage. I know people aren't supposed to discriminate
        because
        > of age, but I'm sure they do it all the time if they can get away
        with it
        > and it's easy to toss a resume when you find one from someone who
        is as
        > ancient as I am! ;-)
        >
        > When you mentions skills, however, I am curious exactly what you
        mean.
        > Perhaps it applies specifically to the jobs you are hiring for.
        Since I
        > usually am only applying for a specific job such as draper or
        designer, I
        > usually tailor my resumes to that particular job so I don't feel I
        need to
        > include skills. What kind of jobs are you hiring for?
        >
        > Sylrog
        >
        > From: "amyjohnsonprf" <amyjohnson@p...>
        > Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:06:22 -0000
        > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Resumes
        >

        > Hi Sylvia!
        >

        > As someone who hires in the theatre world on a regular basis,
        what
        > i look for is almost a table format. I like to see what the person
        > can do, where they learned the skill, and WHEN they learned the
        > skill. I also like to see education, and the biggest thing i've
        > noticed is that this is no graduation date. Alot of people that
        apply
        > to my theatre are usually young, and have just graduated. I like to
        > know when, and they don't put it on their resume. I remember
        > somewhere, hearing that you never put on things that will give you
        an
        > age. But with my work, you have to be able to keep up... so i need
        > know.
        >
        > You could also check some of the big job sites online to see what
        > they suggest.. like monster.com.
        >
        > AJ
        >

        > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, sylvia@n... wrote:
        > > I am addicted to watching Starting Over. Probably most of you
        are
        > too
        > > busy to see this show, since it plays on weekday mornings, but
        > since I am
        > > only partially employed these days (still pursuing costume design
        > jobs), I
        > > plan my morning coffee for between 10 and 11 AM.
        > >
        > > This show, in case you don't know about it, follows the lives of
        6
        > women
        > > who come together to live for several weeks in the same house in
        > Chicago,
        > > with the purpose of making major life changes. At the end of
        their
        > > sojourn there, they graduate and leave and their place is taken
        by
        > another
        > > new woman. It has become a soap opera for me and is replacing
        All
        > My
        > > Children, which I have long considered my one vice.
        > >
        > > Anyhow, my question for you concerns the goal of one woman in the
        > house to
        > > move out of the projects and become self-sufficient. To that end
        > she is
        > > getting coaching on job hunting skills, which brings up for me
        the
        > resume
        > > format question again. She has been advised to create skills-
        based
        > > resumes with descriptions of what she has accomplished on
        previous
        > jobs.
        > > It seems that whenever I see anyone discuss resumes, they advise
        > doing it
        > > this way. I have nver seen it done this way in the theatrical
        > world,
        > > although I admit I haven't seen anyone's costume design resume
        > recently.
        > > I still make my resumes consisting of a list of jobs held in
        > chronoogical
        > > order. I only state the play designed or draped or whatever, the
        > location,
        > > sometimes the director, and sometimes the date. I never add any
        > > descriptions because I thinbk that everyone who works in the
        theatre
        > > understands what the designers do and that would be unneccessary.
        > >
        > > So now that I am actively pursuing design jobs again, I'm
        wondering
        > if
        > > this is still true for theatrical resumes. What are your
        opinions
        > out
        > > there?
        > >
        > > Sylrog
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        > Click Here

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c2g5hqp/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D
        =egroup

        web/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1078244119/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141s33ief/*http:
        //ad.do
        > ubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!
        ie5;sz=300x250;cod
        > e=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=107815>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        subject=Unsubscrib
        > e>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
          Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.

          And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general. If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design "in general."

          Kate Murphy

          sylvia@... wrote:

          Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
          designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
            I hdan't looked at it that way, maybe because I can do it all and have
            done so many times and figured all other designers did so as well. That
            makes me look at my own skills and talents more positively and I will
            remember to enumerate them when redrafting my resume. Thanx!

            Sylrog

            > Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers
            > but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other
            > theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what
            > they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them
            > can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work
            > (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting
            > alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.
            >
            > And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even
            > though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general.
            > If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my
            > opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely
            > on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design
            > "in general."
            >
            > Kate Murphy
            >
            > sylvia@... wrote:
            >

            > Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
            > designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
              After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
              a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
              I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only after
              employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ... badly".
              What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
            • sylvia@ntw.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                > I didn't mean to sound conceited but when you've been in the busines for
                over 25 years, as I have, one often has learned and done it all. I
                certainly wouldn't use that expression on a resume, but I am or have
                been a great designer and illustrator, a very good draper, an excellent
                stitcher, a painter/dyer, and a teacher. About the only thing I can't
                do well in costuming in the crafts end of the job, and I would love to
                learn more of that.

                Sylrog

                > After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
                > a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
                > I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only
                > after
                > employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ...
                > badly".
                > What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                > To visit your group on the web, go
                > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/
                > to:TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              • David
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                  I too have been doing this professionally for nearly 25 years, and I
                  am happy to report that I neither know, or have learned, it all. You
                  didn't sound conceited. It is just a phrase which I have I heard far
                  too often, from those who have no right to use it. If, in fact, you
                  have done it all, I congratulate and admire you.