Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Resumes

  • sylvia@ntw.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004

      > When I look at resumes I want to know exactly what a person can do and
      > what it looks like when they're done. I'm less concerned with exactly
      > which shows they've done or where/when they went to school.

      Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
      designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

    • lanorte1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
        In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:27:32 PM Central Standard Time, sylvia@...
        writes:
        > References are extremely important. I never interview anyone for whom I
        > can't get at least two positive verbal references in advance.
        >
        > Kate Murphy
        While I generally value references, I've learned to be somewhat skeptical of
        them - after all, who's going to list a reference who will say, "Yeah, she
        worked for me, and she was incompetent!" I was badly burned once hiring a
        director - resume looked good, I called two of her references, who spoke in glowing
        terms, etc. She turned out to be the Hindenburg of new hires. If she were
        only an imbecile, that would have been an improvement.

        I guess my point is, make sure you can trust the referance to be more loyal
        to you than to the prospective employee. It's the same as the theory of blind
        dates - be sure the person setting you up is closer to you than to the
        prospective date, so they'll put your best interests first.

      • amyjohnsonprf
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
          I usually hire for costume assistants and interns, so I need a
          fairely rounded skill level. But when looking for something specific
          like a draper and designer, then tailoring your resume is a great
          thing, but don't forget to list the extra skills somewhere.

          And about the graduation thing: I can understand why you would not
          wish to do it. We all have our reasons. My biggest complaint is the
          young ones. They have recently graduated, but they don't list it.
          Their work doesn't make sense on a time line. And I could go on. I
          guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. And I'll ask someone anyways
          when I talk to them.

          Another tip on resume's: Make sure it makes sense. Look at dates and
          times. I usually like to know what you are doing now, i.e.. listing
          things from present to past.

          AJ
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia <sylvia@n...>
          wrote:
          > About the graduation date thing: I don't like to put that down on
          resumes
          > for the opposite reason. I'm no spring chicken and am afraid it
          will work
          > to my disadvantage. I know people aren't supposed to discriminate
          because
          > of age, but I'm sure they do it all the time if they can get away
          with it
          > and it's easy to toss a resume when you find one from someone who
          is as
          > ancient as I am! ;-)
          >
          > When you mentions skills, however, I am curious exactly what you
          mean.
          > Perhaps it applies specifically to the jobs you are hiring for.
          Since I
          > usually am only applying for a specific job such as draper or
          designer, I
          > usually tailor my resumes to that particular job so I don't feel I
          need to
          > include skills. What kind of jobs are you hiring for?
          >
          > Sylrog
          >
          > From: "amyjohnsonprf" <amyjohnson@p...>
          > Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:06:22 -0000
          > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Resumes
          >

          > Hi Sylvia!
          >

          > As someone who hires in the theatre world on a regular basis,
          what
          > i look for is almost a table format. I like to see what the person
          > can do, where they learned the skill, and WHEN they learned the
          > skill. I also like to see education, and the biggest thing i've
          > noticed is that this is no graduation date. Alot of people that
          apply
          > to my theatre are usually young, and have just graduated. I like to
          > know when, and they don't put it on their resume. I remember
          > somewhere, hearing that you never put on things that will give you
          an
          > age. But with my work, you have to be able to keep up... so i need
          > know.
          >
          > You could also check some of the big job sites online to see what
          > they suggest.. like monster.com.
          >
          > AJ
          >

          > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, sylvia@n... wrote:
          > > I am addicted to watching Starting Over. Probably most of you
          are
          > too
          > > busy to see this show, since it plays on weekday mornings, but
          > since I am
          > > only partially employed these days (still pursuing costume design
          > jobs), I
          > > plan my morning coffee for between 10 and 11 AM.
          > >
          > > This show, in case you don't know about it, follows the lives of
          6
          > women
          > > who come together to live for several weeks in the same house in
          > Chicago,
          > > with the purpose of making major life changes. At the end of
          their
          > > sojourn there, they graduate and leave and their place is taken
          by
          > another
          > > new woman. It has become a soap opera for me and is replacing
          All
          > My
          > > Children, which I have long considered my one vice.
          > >
          > > Anyhow, my question for you concerns the goal of one woman in the
          > house to
          > > move out of the projects and become self-sufficient. To that end
          > she is
          > > getting coaching on job hunting skills, which brings up for me
          the
          > resume
          > > format question again. She has been advised to create skills-
          based
          > > resumes with descriptions of what she has accomplished on
          previous
          > jobs.
          > > It seems that whenever I see anyone discuss resumes, they advise
          > doing it
          > > this way. I have nver seen it done this way in the theatrical
          > world,
          > > although I admit I haven't seen anyone's costume design resume
          > recently.
          > > I still make my resumes consisting of a list of jobs held in
          > chronoogical
          > > order. I only state the play designed or draped or whatever, the
          > location,
          > > sometimes the director, and sometimes the date. I never add any
          > > descriptions because I thinbk that everyone who works in the
          theatre
          > > understands what the designers do and that would be unneccessary.
          > >
          > > So now that I am actively pursuing design jobs again, I'm
          wondering
          > if
          > > this is still true for theatrical resumes. What are your
          opinions
          > out
          > > there?
          > >
          > > Sylrog
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
          > Click Here

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c2g5hqp/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D
          =egroup

          web/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1078244119/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141s33ief/*http:
          //ad.do
          > ubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!
          ie5;sz=300x250;cod
          > e=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=107815>
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          subject=Unsubscrib
          > e>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • K Murphy
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
            Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.

            And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general. If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design "in general."

            Kate Murphy

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
              I hdan't looked at it that way, maybe because I can do it all and have
              done so many times and figured all other designers did so as well. That
              makes me look at my own skills and talents more positively and I will
              remember to enumerate them when redrafting my resume. Thanx!

              Sylrog

              > Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers
              > but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other
              > theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what
              > they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them
              > can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work
              > (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting
              > alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.
              >
              > And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even
              > though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general.
              > If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my
              > opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely
              > on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design
              > "in general."
              >
              > Kate Murphy
              >
              > sylvia@... wrote:
              >

              > Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
              > designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • David
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
                a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
                I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only after
                employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ... badly".
                What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
              • sylvia@ntw.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                  > I didn't mean to sound conceited but when you've been in the busines for
                  over 25 years, as I have, one often has learned and done it all. I
                  certainly wouldn't use that expression on a resume, but I am or have
                  been a great designer and illustrator, a very good draper, an excellent
                  stitcher, a painter/dyer, and a teacher. About the only thing I can't
                  do well in costuming in the crafts end of the job, and I would love to
                  learn more of that.

                  Sylrog

                  > After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
                  > a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
                  > I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only
                  > after
                  > employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ...
                  > badly".
                  > What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  > To visit your group on the web, go
                  > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/
                  > to:TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • David
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                    I too have been doing this professionally for nearly 25 years, and I
                    am happy to report that I neither know, or have learned, it all. You
                    didn't sound conceited. It is just a phrase which I have I heard far
                    too often, from those who have no right to use it. If, in fact, you
                    have done it all, I congratulate and admire you.