Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] more questions

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      As far as I know, "will boil" means it won't shrink. But if I were you I wouldn't dare sell old thread for sewing. I think the collector idea is a good one. I've often seen old wooden spools in antique&collectibe shops.

      Kate Murphy

      Loretta Larson-Armstrong <laminathegreat@...> wrote:
      It seems the more I discover about my new shop the more
      questions I have....
      We had a bunch of old fabric and old thread donated years ago.
      The thread is Star Mercerized cotton. The lable says "Will Boil." I
      started to search around to see what that meant. Does anyone
      know what that means? In my wanderings I discovered that the
      thread is "vintage." Does that mean I should try selling it off to
      collectors and not sew with it? We've got boxes and boxes of the
      stuff. If it will raise more money as a collectors item that will
      surely save my budget!!!!! Does anyone know if it is worth
      something,and if it is, where should go from there?

    • randy keator
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hi Loretta..basically "will boil" means it's colorfast and it is vintage.
        Dates back to when clothes were boiled to clean and sanitize them. You've
        got quite a find and probably would benefit from selling it off if in fact
        it is still sound enuf to use(~;