RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Mummers Costumes

  • Heidi Kaye
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 10:11 AM
      Sarah,

      If I understand your original request correctly, you are looking to costume
      a production of Romeo and Juliet set in 1970s Northern Ireland. As others
      have said, Halloween was not then and is still not really celebrated in the
      UK (it's growing a bit, but you'd almost hardly notice it). I'm not sure
      what mummers do in a parade in America, but in the UK, mummers perform
      ritualised plays usually at Christmastime (sort of like the medieval mystery
      plays, but pagan instead of Christian). It's not really a time for general
      costuming, just the performers are in costume. The costumes vary from
      things related to Morris dancers' costumes to straw outfits which look very
      interesting.

      Here are some links about the mummers' plays, some including pictures of
      costumes.

      http://www.ellington-morris.org/mummer.htm

      http://www.mummers.org.uk/whatismum.html

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-nireland/A892514

      I hope this is helpful, even if mumming might not be quite the right thing
      for your play. You could always just have them do a fancy dress party
      (which is what we call a costume party over here), where they could wear
      costumes appropriate to the 1970s.

      Good luck with this project,
      Heidi