Re: Resumes

  • amyjohnsonprf
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Sylvia!

      As someone who hires in the theatre world on a regular basis, what
      i look for is almost a table format. I like to see what the person
      can do, where they learned the skill, and WHEN they learned the
      skill. I also like to see education, and the biggest thing i've
      noticed is that this is no graduation date. Alot of people that apply
      to my theatre are usually young, and have just graduated. I like to
      know when, and they don't put it on their resume. I remember
      somewhere, hearing that you never put on things that will give you an
      age. But with my work, you have to be able to keep up... so i need to
      know.

      You could also check some of the big job sites online to see what
      they suggest.. like monster.com.

      AJ

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, sylvia@n... wrote:
      > I am addicted to watching Starting Over. Probably most of you are
      too
      > busy to see this show, since it plays on weekday mornings, but
      since I am
      > only partially employed these days (still pursuing costume design
      jobs), I
      > plan my morning coffee for between 10 and 11 AM.
      >
      > This show, in case you don't know about it, follows the lives of 6
      women
      > who come together to live for several weeks in the same house in
      Chicago,
      > with the purpose of making major life changes. At the end of their
      > sojourn there, they graduate and leave and their place is taken by
      another
      > new woman. It has become a soap opera for me and is replacing All
      My
      > Children, which I have long considered my one vice.
      >
      > Anyhow, my question for you concerns the goal of one woman in the
      house to
      > move out of the projects and become self-sufficient. To that end
      she is
      > getting coaching on job hunting skills, which brings up for me the
      resume
      > format question again. She has been advised to create skills-based
      > resumes with descriptions of what she has accomplished on previous
      jobs.
      > It seems that whenever I see anyone discuss resumes, they advise
      doing it
      > this way. I have nver seen it done this way in the theatrical
      world,
      > although I admit I haven't seen anyone's costume design resume
      recently.
      > I still make my resumes consisting of a list of jobs held in
      chronoogical
      > order. I only state the play designed or draped or whatever, the
      location,
      > sometimes the director, and sometimes the date. I never add any
      > descriptions because I thinbk that everyone who works in the theatre
      > understands what the designers do and that would be unneccessary.
      >
      > So now that I am actively pursuing design jobs again, I'm wondering
      if
      > this is still true for theatrical resumes. What are your opinions
      out
      > there?
      >
      > Sylrog
    • Sylvia
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
        About the graduation date thing: I don't like to put that down on resumes
        for the opposite reason. I'm no spring chicken and am afraid it will work
        to my disadvantage. I know people aren't supposed to discriminate because
        of age, but I'm sure they do it all the time if they can get away with it
        and it's easy to toss a resume when you find one from someone who is as
        ancient as I am! ;-)

        When you mentions skills, however, I am curious exactly what you mean.
        Perhaps it applies specifically to the jobs you are hiring for. Since I
        usually am only applying for a specific job such as draper or designer, I
        usually tailor my resumes to that particular job so I don't feel I need to
        include skills. What kind of jobs are you hiring for?

        Sylrog

        From: "amyjohnsonprf" <amyjohnson@...>
        Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:06:22 -0000
        To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Resumes

> [...]

        > It seems that whenever I see anyone discuss resumes, they advise
        doing it
        > this way. I have nver seen it done this way in the theatrical
        world,
        > although I admit I haven't seen anyone's costume design resume
        recently.
        > I still make my resumes consisting of a list of jobs held in
        chronoogical
        > order. I only state the play designed or draped or whatever, the
        location,
        > sometimes the director, and sometimes the date. I never add any
        > descriptions because I thinbk that everyone who works in the theatre
        > understands what the designers do and that would be unneccessary.
        >
        > So now that I am actively pursuing design jobs again, I'm wondering
        if
        > this is still true for theatrical resumes. What are your opinions

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c2g5hqp/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroup
        web/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1078244119/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141s33ief/*http://ad.do
        ubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;cod
        e=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=107815>

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        e>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • K Murphy

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004

            > When I look at resumes I want to know exactly what a person can do and
            > what it looks like when they're done. I'm less concerned with exactly
            > which shows they've done or where/when they went to school.

            Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
            designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

          • lanorte1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
              In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:27:32 PM Central Standard Time, sylvia@...
              writes:
              > References are extremely important. I never interview anyone for whom I
              > can't get at least two positive verbal references in advance.
              >
              > Kate Murphy
              While I generally value references, I've learned to be somewhat skeptical of
              them - after all, who's going to list a reference who will say, "Yeah, she
              worked for me, and she was incompetent!" I was badly burned once hiring a
              director - resume looked good, I called two of her references, who spoke in glowing
              terms, etc. She turned out to be the Hindenburg of new hires. If she were
              only an imbecile, that would have been an improvement.

              I guess my point is, make sure you can trust the referance to be more loyal
              to you than to the prospective employee. It's the same as the theory of blind
              dates - be sure the person setting you up is closer to you than to the
              prospective date, so they'll put your best interests first.

            • amyjohnsonprf
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
                I usually hire for costume assistants and interns, so I need a
                fairely rounded skill level. But when looking for something specific
                like a draper and designer, then tailoring your resume is a great
                thing, but don't forget to list the extra skills somewhere.

                And about the graduation thing: I can understand why you would not
                wish to do it. We all have our reasons. My biggest complaint is the
                young ones. They have recently graduated, but they don't list it.
                Their work doesn't make sense on a time line. And I could go on. I
                guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. And I'll ask someone anyways
                when I talk to them.

                Another tip on resume's: Make sure it makes sense. Look at dates and
                times. I usually like to know what you are doing now, i.e.. listing
                things from present to past.

                AJ
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia <sylvia@n...>
                wrote:
> [...]
                > > descriptions because I thinbk that everyone who works in the
                theatre
                > > understands what the designers do and that would be unneccessary.
                > >
                > > So now that I am actively pursuing design jobs again, I'm
                wondering
                > if
                > > this is still true for theatrical resumes. What are your
                opinions
                > out
                > > there?
                > >
                > > Sylrog
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
                > Click Here

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c2g5hqp/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D
                =egroup

                web/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1078244119/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141s33ief/*http:
                //ad.do
                > ubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!

                subject=Unsubscrib

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
                  Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.

                  And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general. If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design "in general."

                  Kate Murphy

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
                    I hdan't looked at it that way, maybe because I can do it all and have
                    done so many times and figured all other designers did so as well. That
                    makes me look at my own skills and talents more positively and I will
                    remember to enumerate them when redrafting my resume. Thanx!

                    Sylrog

                    > Actually, it's not obvious at all. Some people call themselves designers
                    > but what they really do is go around borrowing/renting costumes from other
                    > theaters or rental houses. Some of them rely for "research" on what
                    > they've seen in the movies or on other theater's stages. Some of them
                    > can't draw. Some of them think they know what they're doing but their work
                    > (or the work they're supervising) is awful -- puckered seams, ill-fitting
                    > alterations, colors from several different palettes, etc.
                    >
                    > And not everyone knows what you, in particular, can do for them, even
                    > though they may have a good idea of what theater designers do in general.
                    > If you don't want to list your particular skills, that's fine, but in my
                    > opinion, it's helpful to the people who may be evaluating you based purely
                    > on a piece of paper. Your resume is about you, not about costume design
                    > "in general."
                    >
                    > Kate Murphy
                    >
                    > sylvia@... wrote:
                    >

                    > Isn't it obvious what one has done if one puts down what shows she's
                    > designed? Everyone in theatre knows what it means to be a designer.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                      After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
                      a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
                      I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only after
                      employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ... badly".
                      What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
                    • sylvia@ntw.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                        > I didn't mean to sound conceited but when you've been in the busines for
                        over 25 years, as I have, one often has learned and done it all. I
                        certainly wouldn't use that expression on a resume, but I am or have
                        been a great designer and illustrator, a very good draper, an excellent
                        stitcher, a painter/dyer, and a teacher. About the only thing I can't
                        do well in costuming in the crafts end of the job, and I would love to
                        learn more of that.

                        Sylrog

                        > After being burnt one too many times, I now ask to see a portfolio as
                        > a follow up to the resume, and cross reference the two very carefully.
                        > I have been stuck with people who "do it all", and it was only
                        > after
                        > employing them that I realized that they meant "do it all ...
                        > badly".
                        > What is that old expression? A jack of all trades, a master of none?
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >
                        > To visit your group on the web, go
                        > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/
                        > to:TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      • David
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                          I too have been doing this professionally for nearly 25 years, and I
                          am happy to report that I neither know, or have learned, it all. You
                          didn't sound conceited. It is just a phrase which I have I heard far
                          too often, from those who have no right to use it. If, in fact, you
                          have done it all, I congratulate and admire you.