Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Historic Clothing & Impresssions

  • Ana
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Dear Donna,

      Good point! Also, let's not get so uppity that we assume someone is
      "not in Period", just because they don't fit OUR view of what is
      "period". We may be ignorant--like the fellow who attempted to
      embarrass me at my second SCA event, not knowing that I was wearing very
      authentic 16th Century Venetian fashion--influenced by trade with
      Turkey. Also, allow room for others to have their own view of what is
      "historically accurate". And remember that not everone even cares about
      clothes the way we do!

      Of course this also applies in "mundane" life (which I keep looking
      for--my life is everything BUT mundane!). Just because you think folks
      should wear a dress to a wedding, or perhaps that they should dress more
      casually for another gathering, don't look down your nose at those who
      choose to do something else.

      My big thrill used to be "reversing the wow" by not reacting to the
      youngsters in black studded leather and green hair. It made them crazy
      that I just treated them like anyone else. Just because I was dressed
      like their mothers.....heh, heh. There are many kinds of camoflague.

      Peace,

      Ana

      >6
      >7Message: 3
      > Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:17:24 EST
      > 677777777777 From: DJCPoland@...
      >Subject: OT: Historic Clothing
      >
      >The comments on assumptios that are made because of dress are accurate. And
      >knowing how to manipulate them is useful, if you've got the resources to have
      >several types of dress. But let's be aware that some folks don't, and let's
      >try, in those areas where we have personal power, to not penalize folks for not
      >turning up in the approriate "costume".
      >
      >Donna Carty

    • randy keator
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
        I believe it was Thoreau who said "The man who seems out of place is perhaps
        hearing a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears,
        however measured or far away" . .been many years so I won't swear to it
        being 100% accurate, I just say "to each their own". .if you weren't there
        then how would you know what is or isn't 100% accurate for the entire world
        in that time period. Maybe I'm purposely dressing as the village idiot just
        to see how many notice?