Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Mummers Costumes

  • butchncleo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      MUMMERS ARE PRETTY FLASHY, THEY REMIND ME OF ALMOST A MEXICAN SPANISH THING ALMOST WITH A FLASHY TONE, AS WELL AS THE BIG HATS AD FEATHERS, MY INLAWS LOVE THE MUMMBERS AND ALWAYS GO TO THE PARADES HERE IN WARWICK RHODE ISLAND.
      IF YOU DANCE WITH A MUMMER IN THE PARADE YOU WILL GET A FEATHER. BIG PLUME TYPE, SHE DOES ALL THE TIME. ANYWAY i AM NOT SURE THE MUMMER IDEA WOULD BE GOOD FOR 1970 IRELAND HALLOWEEN PLAY, I DO FEEL HOWEVER THAT FOR A ROMEO AND JULIET PLAY, AND VIA HALLOWEEN, IN NORTHER IRELAND, ONE MIGHT WANT TO STAY WITHIN THAT PERIMETER.

      COULD ALWAYS GO IRISH TOO, LIKE FOR EXAMPLE, HIM AND HER BOTH DRESS IN IRISH ATTAIRE, CAN GET COSTUME PATTERNS FROM THE MCALLS OR SIMPLICITY. AND USE PLAIDS, ONE DRESS IN THE GREEN PLAID AND ONE IN THE RED PLAID, AND THERE FOR THEY WOULD BE FROM DIFFERANT "CLANS" AND THERBY FORBIDDEN TO BE WITH EACH OTHER.
      IT WOULD WORK.

      PEGGY
    • Heidi Kaye
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        Sarah,

        If I understand your original request correctly, you are looking to costume
        a production of Romeo and Juliet set in 1970s Northern Ireland. As others
        have said, Halloween was not then and is still not really celebrated in the
        UK (it's growing a bit, but you'd almost hardly notice it). I'm not sure
        what mummers do in a parade in America, but in the UK, mummers perform
        ritualised plays usually at Christmastime (sort of like the medieval mystery
        plays, but pagan instead of Christian). It's not really a time for general
        costuming, just the performers are in costume. The costumes vary from
        things related to Morris dancers' costumes to straw outfits which look very
        interesting.

        Here are some links about the mummers' plays, some including pictures of
        costumes.

        http://www.ellington-morris.org/mummer.htm

        http://www.mummers.org.uk/whatismum.html

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-nireland/A892514

        I hope this is helpful, even if mumming might not be quite the right thing
        for your play. You could always just have them do a fancy dress party
        (which is what we call a costume party over here), where they could wear
        costumes appropriate to the 1970s.

        Good luck with this project,
        Heidi