Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Historic Clothing

  • Joannah Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      A good point.
      Jo.

      --- Ana <yahoo@...> wrote:
      Dear Friends,

      I can't help sharing some observations on the discussion about "wearing
      garb in mundane settings" as you have called it. In my view EVERYTHING
      is "costume". When I go to a Chamber of Commerce meeting, I have a
      costume that I call "Chamber of Commerce Drag"--just short of Carol
      Burnett's Southern Lady in Momma's Family on TV. The native born
      Southern Ladies just LUV it! I've learned that "concussion earrings" are
      considered very fashionable here.

      When I go to the Walmart, I wear "I'm nobody" Suburban
      Camoflague--sweats or T-shirt with jeans. When I go to a sci fi
      convention, I wear Wierd Chic and when I go to the SCA's Gulf Wars, I
      wear a long tunic dress.

      What makes it fun is that Shakespeare was correct--clothes DO "make" the
      person. I enjoy manipulating the response of others by wearing clothes
      that create a certain impression. Often I will dress "up" to get better
      service when I'm shopping. Sometimes I just like being "invisible in
      the crowd"--not always as easy as you might think.

      Now my challenge to you is to challenge yourselves, next time you see
      someone that instinctively you don't like. Check out their clothes--are
      they hitting YOUR buttons? I had a classic example the other day. I
      took a woman friend to the dental surgeon, and the nurses assumed we
      were "roommates". Okay, my hair is short and I was wearing tailored
      wool slacks and an oversized wool sweater. But that doesn't mean I'm
      gay! But I learned an important lesson about the assumptions >I<
      sometimes make, based on how people look!

      The more we learn about our cultural conventions in dress, the more we
      can understand ourselves and the people around us. And the less
      reactionary and the more compassionate we can become.

      Peace,

      Ana

      >Message: 7
      > Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:15:01 -0800 (PST)
      > From: Joannah Hansen <Joannah@...>
      >Subject: Re: Historic clothing in the classroom
      >
      >Way to go, Ashe'el! *applause noises* It's fun wearing garb in mundane settings, isn't it? A friend and I were wearing ECW clothing (for a performance in the Town Hall Square) when we went to a food court in the CBD for lunch - the best guess we got was that we were Amish, which I personally thought was a pretty good try from a member of the general public.
      >Keep enjoying your costuming!
      >Joannah.
      >

      >--- "brattboy.rm" <brattboy@...> wrote:
      >Doesn't matter what type of classroom you're in!! There was a history
      >professor at USU that would actually dress the part of whatever period
      >he was teaching. It was interesting to look in through the window and
      >see him dressed up. I never did get to take a class from him, but i
      >remember standing in the hall, and seeing the reaction of the people
      >in the class. It was less boring than my class and it seemed the
      >people were paying attention more than in my history class.
      >
      > For me getting dressed up helps give a mentality of the era. When
      >I'm at SCA events we all tend to act slightly different than we would
      >at the mall per say. I've also noticed many actors/esses mention in
      >interviews that the clothes helped them make the character. Would you
      >be as interested in listening to a gentleman in a suit and tie talk
      >about Ben Franklin and his life, or someone dress in colonial attire?
      > And Abe Lincoln is not Abe without the beard and tall hat. Elizabeth
      >I in a babydole shirt and hip hugger jeans, how obsurd. Could you
      >seriously see Henry VIII in sweats and a holey T-shirt?
      >
      >I wish more teachers could and would do something such as this. I
      >enjoy wearing costumes I've made and purchased (I so bold to wear them
      >to work, the mall, and wherever I'm at an event), there should be no
      >shame in knowing about how clothing was made WAY back when, what it
      >was made out of, etc. I don't care about the odd looks I get, but I
      >do bask in the compliments.
      >
      >ANYWAY..... that's my thoughts.
      >
      >Ashe'el
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links