Re: hairstyles from 1950's for long haired actresses

  • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
      I have this problem too- I have long hair.
      I can't remember what it was called, but I used some hair toys to
      make it look like I had a bob. The toys were wire which was about 2
      feet long covered with 3 feet of fabric (kind of like scrunchies). I
      sandwitched my hair between two, pulled them down to the bottom of
      my hair, and started rolling. When I got to the nape of my neck I
      took the long ends and wraped them over my head, twisting the ends
      into a rosette. It looked like I had a bob and a head band. It was a
      very convincing bob- I had a friend yell at me because she thought I
      cut my hair. 8-)
      Grrr. And I can never describe the process quite right. And I don't
      have a single picture. But I would be willing to draw picts, five
      more detail, ect. if this makes any sense.
      And if anyone can remember what those hair things were called, they
      win. I owned some and even made a few. 8-P
      Loretta

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Poppy Shell"
      <poppyshell@h...> wrote:
      > ALOHA: I am costuming GUYS AND DOLLS in Hawaii for a high school
      program.
      > Here, many of the teenage girls are hula dancers and grow their
      hair out
      > VERY long and they have VERY thick hair. Even though I am the
      costumer, not
      > the hair and makeup person, I always give some thought to how the
      costumes
      > will look authentic to the time period and how hair styles will
      look, also.
      > I know in the 1950's, women really didn't wear this super long,
      waist length
      > hair. The thick hair on these girls will be difficult to style
      and I think
      > would even be hard to put on top of their heads to use wigs, which
      we don't
      > have a big budget for anyways. Yesterday, I tried a French Roll
      and a neck
      > bun on our actress playing the Mission worker (Sarah) and she had
      a HUGE
      > lump of hair which didn't look attractive. I want to try some
      type of
      > braids wrapped on top of her head, but my fellow costumer thinks
      this might
      > look too Heidi. Any ideas of photos of wrapped up braids or other
      styles
      > that might work for this problem? I've spent HOURS on the
      internet looking
      > at photos of famous 1950's movie stars, the longest they wore
      their hair was
      > an inch or two below the shoulders. Thanks for the help. Poppy
      on Kauai
      > www.alohababyblankets.com

      > Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-
      Speed