Simplicity9761 and skirt seam center front?

  • Bell
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
      Hi all,
      I'm wondering if anyone on this group has made this pattern? I got
      the pattern ages ago and on a whim decided to get material to make
      the skirt up without the tiers as i'm planning on making a top from
      another pattern.
      Reading through the pattern instructions I found out that there will
      be a seam down the center front, which isn't something that made me
      the happiest bunny. I'm now deciding on either upping the number of
      panels to 5 or just having the 3(if I go with the 3 shame about the
      44" wide material i've already bought....will get used at some
      point).
      Anyway if anyone has made this skirt up, did you follow the pattern
      or adapt it and if so how? I just think that a seam down the center
      seems odd.
      Hope there is someone who has mad ethis skirt up or at least has an
      idea as to how to adapt it because apart from this point the
      pleating on the waist line seem as though they will make the skirt
      hang real well
      Thanks in advance for any help
      Bell
    • butchncleo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
        to avoid that center front seam one can always just have the two panels as (cut on the fold thatway the front piece which would be two panels will really be one, so what if there is no front seam, no one will care from the pattern company, and you will be happy with no front seam, sewing never tuns out the way it should be for me, i seem to always have to make some creative adjustment, not sure why that s but thankfully it seems to work out. and only I now the mistakes or the creative work. take care and good luck

        margaret of manchester
      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
          Hi Bell:

          I don't have this pattern, but from the looks of the finished skirt it is completely symmetrical, and it should therefore be easy to eliminate a center front seam. If there are four identical gores, simply "swivel" the skirt and create a center back seam down the center of one panel (remember to add seam allowance for the new seam). The skirt seams will then join the waist at CB (center back closure), SB (two side back seams equal distant from CB), and SF(two side front seams equal distant from center front). The only difference in the finished skirt will be that the straight-of-grain will run CF, SS, and CB, but since this skirt appears to be worn over a hoop (which is symmetrical) it shouldn't matter at all.

          Another way to maintain the same fullness is to cut the front pattern piece on the fold (on the "stitching line," which is 5/8" from the cutting line) and then reintroduce any width you lose by adding two side front seams equal distant from CF (remember to add seam allowance for each piece).

          Kate Murphy

          Bell <belinda_sue_fox@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here

        • Coyote Woman
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
            I haven't made this one... but before I offer any suggestions, is this:
            http://www.erasofelegance.com/pattern53.jpg the pattern you're talking
            about?

            Lill

[...]

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cdgdv0i/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
            roupweb/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1077711539/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141g8a61r/*http
            ://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz
            =300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1077625139739427?> Click HereClick
            Here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
            pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=853851318>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            cribe>

          • Bell
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Coyote Woman"
              <lillyth@c...> wrote:
              > I haven't made this one... but before I offer any suggestions, is
              this:
              > http://www.erasofelegance.com/pattern53.jpg the pattern you're
              talking
              > about?
              >
              > Lill

              Hi there,
              Yup thats the one, although I've been thinking of making just the
              skirt without the tiers and a different bodice
            • butchncleo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 25, 2004
                i at first thought i knew the pattern you spoke of, but now that i see you are talking abuot the tiers im not, i actually made the otherone that is listed next to that in the book same model, the cival war one where she is wearing the pink print dress however i made in in black. it was a representation of clara barton, my daughter who was 10 at the time had to make a book report and the teacher wanted them to dress the part the best they could, most of the kids were not able to, because of lack of parental support and prticipation i would guess as i was there the day of presentation, however my daughter being a shopper and a fashion guru even at 10, wanted me to amke her a dress (third sewing project hahahah) well such faith huh? anyway i was able to pull it off she wore my farthingale, and i braided her hair and put in a bun, my father sent a 50 year old red cross pen (clara barton for those who do not know was a nurse and started the united states version of red cross) she was a great woman.
                needless to say, the kids in her class ewww and ahhhhd, and the teacher saved her for last.

                she felt really nice in that dress and that actually started us on the way to seeking out the renaissance groups sca. so we can dress like that more often. keep up the good work like i said in previous email, sewing is creative, there are nor eal rules and if it doesnt turn out right you can always adjust it and make it something new.

                margaret of manchester ( my sca name)
              • Denise
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 25, 2004
                  What a wonderful story! I am sure your daughter will never forget it. I
                  love bringing history to life for kids this way: showing the clothing, etc.
                  of the period. Makes a big difference compared to pictures in a book.

                  My daughter is 7 and this summer she will be old enough to take part in the
                  annual pioneer summer school held by her elementary school enrichment
                  program. It is held in an actual one-room schoolhouse. I plan on making
                  her a pioneer dress for that week.

                  I can't remember if I posted to this list about the Literary Figures
                  clothing I was commissioned to make last fall. A couple friends from the
                  School of the Arts in our town went into one of the high school English
                  classes every week portraying different American authors. I made coats for
                  Hawthorne, Longfellow, Poe, and Mark Twain. They spoke as the author, and
                  read from his writings. The kids LOVED it, and the administration really
                  took notice.

                  Denise

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 25, 2004
                    And people say that Americans love History because they havn't got
                    any, sounds more like it's because the teaching of it is made more
                    intresting. Never seems to be hardly any intresting history events
                    here in the UK for kids.
                    History is fun if you can interact with it and experience it.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 25, 2004
                      Hi there,
                      That sounds as it was a cool day for your daughter.
                      I know which dress you mean,I've nearly bought that pattern a few
                      times and all the reports on it have been good.
                      Like you said in your post sewing is fun and creative...I must say
                      nearly everything I've made I have made some change or other to the
                      pattern, for one reason or another. It's the reason I started to sew
                      couldn't find exactly hat I wanted or if I could it was wayyyy to
                      expensive. As for the skirt, I've now got a lot of material that I
                      can make something else out of. I've decided to get some material
                      that is 60" wide instead of the 44" and do less gores in the skirt
                      (well decided untill I think about it again maybe). If I was more
                      organised I'd read the patterns properly before going getting some
                      material that would ( should add maybe here) suit the pattern. But
                      anyway I've now got a bit of spare material just crying out to have a
                      pattern bought for it :)

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, butchncleo@a... wrote:
                      > i at first thought i knew the pattern you spoke of, but now that i
                      see you are talking abuot the tiers im not, i actually made the
                      otherone that is listed next to that in the book same model, the
                      cival war one where she is wearing the pink print dress however i
                      made in in black. it was a representation of clara barton, my
                      daughter who was 10 at the time had to make a book report and the
                      teacher wanted them to dress the part the best they could, most of
                      the kids were not able to, because of lack of parental support and
                      prticipation i would guess as i was there the day of presentation,
                      however my daughter being a shopper and a fashion guru even at 10,
                      wanted me to amke her a dress (third sewing project hahahah) well
                      such faith huh? anyway i was able to pull it off she wore my
                      farthingale, and i braided her hair and put in a bun, my father sent
                      a 50 year old red cross pen (clara barton for those who do not know
                      was a nurse and started the united states version of red cross) she
                      was a great woman.
                      > needless to say, the kids in her class ewww and ahhhhd, and the
                      teacher saved her for last.

                      > she felt really nice in that dress and that actually started us on
                      the way to seeking out the renaissance groups sca. so we can dress
                      like that more often. keep up the good work like i said in previous
                      email, sewing is creative, there are nor eal rules and if it doesnt
                      turn out right you can always adjust it and make it something new.

                      > margaret of manchester ( my sca name)
                    • Michelle Davidson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 25, 2004
                        Do you hear that prolonged cry of anquish? That is
                        me. I was so excited about the costume college, and
                        figuring out with my husband if it is a possibilty,
                        that I hit the "delete" button instead of the "move to
                        folder" button! Then, believe it or not, in my
                        bemusement at myself, I emptied the trash instead of
                        opening it and retrieving my deleted e-mail...not just
                        that kind of day, folks: that kind of life! (Luckily,
                        my family finds it amusing.) Anyway...can someone
                        kindly repost the information about the costume
                        college in Van Nuys CA? If you want to send it
                        directly to me instead of cluttering up the list, my
                        email is
                        adastra33@....
                        Thank you in advance--and go ahead and laugh at my
                        dingyness--I'm used to it!
                        --Michelle Spencer Davidson

                        =====
                        The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
                        --Josef Stalin

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
                      • butchncleo@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 26, 2004
                          that is great she will be excited as well, youknow my daughter is now alost 12 and she loves wearing the renaissance clothes, with the hoop skirt, she feels very 'regal" as she states, she says she wished that we could dress like that all the time, (im sure she would feel differant if she really had to lol.
                          i wish more parents would take an avid role in their kids education i think i may advertize a way to make it easier for parents when faced with this situation for a nominal cost, good idea huh?

                          thanks for your story as well. i love these groups
                          margaret of manchester (peggy)
                        • butchncleo@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 26, 2004
                            in regards to the kids in uk, have you tried getting involved with history through a local church, one can give kids the clothing to dress i and gear towards history in church, doesnt have to be a biblical history, but can be a history of biblical proportion to an era, such as cival war, or any time period, this way you can also give ideas too on how to teach history to kids, or you may want to even approach a local school give a teacher an idea and run with it, such as depicting a history figure that is already passed on, doing a report and then haveing kids dress as that character, bnut make available some options for those parents who are not talented in sewing, or maybe get your sewing friends together and have them offeer their services to parents for a nominal fee, i wish i had that idea before but iwas really new at sewing, am much better now, and have grown emminsly (sp?) in my sewing ability to pull it off now.

                            good luck to uk kids and history
                          • brattboy.rm
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 27, 2004
                              Doesn't matter what type of classroom you're in!! There was a history
                              professor at USU that would actually dress the part of whatever period
                              he was teaching. It was interesting to look in through the window and
                              see him dressed up. I never did get to take a class from him, but i
                              remember standing in the hall, and seeing the reaction of the people
                              in the class. It was less boring than my class and it seemed the
                              people were paying attention more than in my history class.

                              For me getting dressed up helps give a mentality of the era. When
                              I'm at SCA events we all tend to act slightly different than we would
                              at the mall per say. I've also noticed many actors/esses mention in
                              interviews that the clothes helped them make the character. Would you
                              be as interested in listening to a gentleman in a suit and tie talk
                              about Ben Franklin and his life, or someone dress in colonial attire?
                              And Abe Lincoln is not Abe without the beard and tall hat. Elizabeth
                              I in a babydole shirt and hip hugger jeans, how obsurd. Could you
                              seriously see Henry VIII in sweats and a holey T-shirt?

                              I wish more teachers could and would do something such as this. I
                              enjoy wearing costumes I've made and purchased (I so bold to wear them
                              to work, the mall, and wherever I'm at an event), there should be no
                              shame in knowing about how clothing was made WAY back when, what it
                              was made out of, etc. I don't care about the odd looks I get, but I
                              do bask in the compliments.

                              ANYWAY..... that's my thoughts.

                              Ashe'el
                            • Chris
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 27, 2004
                                Here, here!!! VERY well said. I feel exactly the same way and was fortunate to have a history teacher in H.S, who, though he didn't dress up, liked the class to re-enact personas from the time period we were studying. HUGE fun and even the 'troublemakers' had a great time participating in the skits.

                                Chris

                                "brattboy.rm" <brattboy@...> wrote:
[...]

                                Because the Past is the Present and the Future too

                                Our greatest glory is not in never failing,
                                but in rising up every time we fail.
                                Ralph Waldo Emerson

                              • Rebecca
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 27, 2004
                                  Bell ~
                                  I've made that pattern. It was the bane of the production run the
                                  first year we used it! It was simple to put together but weighed so
                                  much it had to be hooked to the bodice with coat hooks and STILL
                                  required suspenders to keep it from sliding down to the floor.

                                  Here's my advice on it: Certainly you can easily remove the
                                  flounces. Remove the under skirt, too. We now make this pattern
                                  without the under skirt, even with the flounces (which I suppose was
                                  placed there to hold the flounces in a stable position) Layout the
                                  pattern pieces for the outer skirt. Change the Center Front Seam to
                                  be on the fold (remove the seam allowance. Add in two new seams on
                                  either side of Center Front to allow the pieces to fit on your 45"
                                  material.

                                  Use the 45" material. We actually made this skirt on the crosswise
                                  grain for a short actress when we needed the pattern to show 90
                                  degrees. Worked fine.

                                  The BIG, big trick on readjusting the seams? The waistline is not
                                  straight. If you're having troubles with the waist, then square the
                                  top of each piece while you figure out the slope in the waistline.
                                  The draw in the new slope if your alterations changed the original.
                                  As long as you use the guide that comes with the pattern to layout
                                  your waist's cartridge pleats and the corresponding slope, you can
                                  do just about anything to the seams (and of course keep your grain
                                  straight on each new/modified piece). I'd recommend adding a
                                  stiffer, wider waistband than they use. They use a grossgrain
                                  ribbon. If you've got any height or weight on you, this will not be
                                  enough to make the skirt comfortable. Then again if it's just for
                                  an hour or two, no problem. We used this pattern for a show that
                                  ran for weeks and weeks and other than that blankety-blank weight
                                  issue and the waistband being too narrow, it worked fine.

                                  ~ Becky

                                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Bell"
                                  <belinda_sue_fox@y...> wrote:
                                  > Hi all,
                                  > I'm wondering if anyone on this group has made this pattern?
                                • Joannah Hansen

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 2, 2004
                                      Thanks all for your advice and input about this pattern. I've
                                      decided to make it up in a cheap polycotton to see whats best for
                                      the seams. As for the grossgrain waistband, I'd decided to drop that
                                      for a firmer waistband as I've used this and find the result
                                      lacking, but mybe thats me.
                                      I've already made a caged crinoline and it seems to look fine over
                                      it but the amount of times it will be worn together seems a shame.
                                      But i've had a thought and looked at a few pics. I'm thinking if I
                                      make one or two of the Simplicity 5726 petticoats will I get the
                                      look of the pic I've added to in the pics folder. I was thinking of
                                      using this skirt pattern and Butterick 6694 with a few alterations
                                      to hopefully get the look of this outfit. Any thoughts on this and
                                      the petticoats idea?
                                      As you might have guessed I'm pretty new to sewing and even newr to
                                      period clothes but I'm slowly learning what works.
                                      Anyway thanks again for all your help and input

                                      Bell
                                    • Rebecca
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 3, 2004
                                        Bell ~
                                        Just my opinion;

                                        No. Petticoats will not give you the look of that skirt in the
                                        photos section. You will need the huge caged crinoline that has the
                                        flat front, belled out back, and hip stabalizer. You could pull it
                                        off with a large set of hoops.

                                        Which ever under treatment you choose, the skirt should be adjusted
                                        at the waist and or hem so as not to drag (if you're using a round
                                        set of hoops then everything is symetrical - if you use a flat front
                                        and/or the bell back then you need less material in front and more
                                        in back to keep the hem even).

                                        I like the Butterick pattern. Why not go with it's skirt, too? The
                                        waistband on it is far easier to make than the one on the Simplicity
                                        pattern.

                                        If you decide to go with petticoats and no hoop then you get into a
                                        different era and/or a different class. If you want the Scarlet
                                        O'Hara look or the Victorian look from both of these patterns,
                                        you'll need the cage or the hoop.

                                        ~ Becky
                                      • Bell
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 5, 2004
                                          Thanks for the input Becky,
                                          I sorta thought it wouldn't work with petticoats but wasn't 100% sure
                                          so thought I'd ask. I've already made the caged crinolines and will
                                          end up making the Butterick skirt at some point. I'm trying trying to
                                          learn the making of historical clothes, starting with the patterns
                                          with full instructions, ie Butterick and Simplicity to get some idea
                                          of what is needed and how they all work. Once I think I know what
                                          works and the basics of the patterns I'm planning on moving onto the
                                          more authentic patterns because from what I've read about them on
                                          here and other sites etc is that their instructions are sometimes
                                          lacking. So I think it's a good idea to have made things similar
                                          before attempting them.
                                          Anyway thanks again for your input
                                          Bell
                                        • Denise
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 21, 2004
                                            www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/civilWar/index.html
                                          • Sylvia
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 25, 2004
                                              Here I am again asking for advice on landing jobs. I did manage to get one
                                              for 5 weeks this summer, although it's for a theatre I had worked for once
                                              back in the '80s, so it's not as much of a job search success story as I
                                              would have liked to relate, but I'm very happy I got it.

                                              My question concerns writing cover letters. I'm now applying to positions
                                              I've become aware of through the internet, so I know that hundreds of others
                                              are also applying for them at the same time. Maybe those reading this are
                                              among them, in which case, I doubt you will want to pass on any tricks of
                                              the trade, but if you should feel so inclined, I'm wondering if you have
                                              suggestions for making cover letters pop out. I feel I have a strong
                                              resume but I seldom get positive or any responses when I send out such
                                              applications so I'm wondering if there is something I can say in my cover
                                              letters that will help get me in the door. Any ideas please?

                                              Sylrog
                                            • Michele Milunas
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 25, 2004
                                                I went to a job fair a few years ago, and got some good advice from a group of guys that were helping people with their resumes for free. They said to use: strong action words. like "I did this...." in the first person, "because of my work, the customer was able to (something that benefited them somehow), "I am looking forward to hearing favorably from you about X project".

                                                Most potential customers want to know what you've accomplished, how your work would benefit them, and enthusiastic, confident words. I should know cause I sent out enough of them for jobs before I opened my business and was out of work. I got a lot of job offers that way.

                                                Hope this all helps,
                                                Michele

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 26, 2004
                                                  There are some really great books that help with constructing a cover
                                                  letter. My favorite is "Cover Letters that Knock Then Dead." Or something
                                                  like that, I got it at the library, basically I took a bunch of the examples
                                                  and put them into one cover letter. As for success, well, I have only
                                                  applied for two jobs this summer, and I already got called back on the first
                                                  one I applied for.

                                                  The other suggestion is to have many different people read and tell you what
                                                  they think of the cover letter, especially those in the business world, not
                                                  just theater world.

                                                  Hope that helps.

                                                  Rachel

                                                  >From: Sylvia <sylvia@...>
                                                  >To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
                                                  >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Cover letters
                                                  >Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:08:07 -0600
                                                  >
                                                  >Here I am again asking for advice on landing jobs. I did manage to get one
                                                  >for 5 weeks this summer, although it's for a theatre I had worked for once
                                                  >back in the '80s, so it's not as much of a job search success story as I
                                                  >would have liked to relate, but I'm very happy I got it.
                                                  >
                                                  >My question concerns writing cover letters. I'm now applying to positions
                                                  >I've become aware of through the internet, so I know that hundreds of
                                                  >others
                                                  >are also applying for them at the same time. Maybe those reading this are
                                                  >among them, in which case, I doubt you will want to pass on any tricks of
                                                  >the trade, but if you should feel so inclined, I'm wondering if you have
                                                  >suggestions for making cover letters pop out. I feel I have a strong
                                                  >resume but I seldom get positive or any responses when I send out such
                                                  >applications so I'm wondering if there is something I can say in my cover
                                                  >letters that will help get me in the door. Any ideas please?
                                                  >
                                                  >Sylrog

                                                  Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar � FREE!