Re: Pointe Shoe Dying

  • The Scoggins
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2004
      I've been using Nu-Life Color Spray shoe paint for dark colors such as black
      & red. They have an amazing variety of beiges to use for skin tones. They
      also soak into the fabric and don't leave a skin of paint (same as Design
      Master), but tend to cover better on the darker colors. I do have the girls
      give me their old pointe shoes so I can use them to try out colors, since
      some shoes are very orangey and others are almost white.

      When I have dyed tights and want the shoes to match, I have used a
      concentrate of the dye, diluted it with alcohol and sponge painted it on the
      shoes. It takes a lot longer to do and to dry than any of the spray paints,
      but you don't need to mask off the bottom or the toe of the shoe.
      Occasionally, you will get a little shrinkage if you've had to do a number
      of coats.

      Kathy