merchant schmerchant and a kirtle

  • michelle mead
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2001
      I just finished my first kirtle. I got the pattern
      from Rocking Horse Farms. I tried to order it from
      honesttomssutlery.com but aside from unsecure online
      ordering (which I did anyways to save a buck or two)
      he apparently never got my order though I was sent a
      confirmation page. Rocking Horse Farms doesn't get my
      vote of confidence either. Aside from their sizing
      being off, their pattern was incredibly ambiguous,
      having left out several steps. The kirtle doesn't fit
      my customer in the bust at all (which is the
      measurement I went by primarily!!!). I went against
      my better judgement by not fitting the lining on her
      first and sewed the whole damn thing so now I have to
      undo it...but thankfully I have till Samhain and she
      is nice so I have a short few moments to breathe
      before we move.

      The kirtle is gorgeous though, made of a very very
      soft twill knit linen in a soft ivory. She chose a
      small bit of gold and black Byzantine/Celtic looking
      knotwork ribbon for the neckline, and hand-embroidered
      eyelet holes for lacing up the back. I have enough of
      the linen left to make something for myself, too!!!
      All in all, when it's done finally, it will be worth
      the hassle because it is just so beautiful. It will
      be one of the first pics up on my site this autumn.

      She gave me a nice little hand beaded bottle of
      citrine for Vanilla Faery Designs the business
      endeavor, which certainly made up for the customer who
      cancelled because we have difference in political
      views. At least he let me keep the materials, and I
      am blatantly going to snub his snub of me by making a
      robe just like he wanted me to make for him and sell
      it in a local metaphysical store.

      I also got to sponsor our local Dreamer's Ball, an
      annual event in our Pagan community where we dress as
      our fantasies and dance the night away. I was unable
      to make it this year, but I did get our prizes (a gift
      certificate and chainmail bracelet) there. My winner
      already ordered a loincloth.

      Anyways...I know I have been really really quiet
      lately and with moving a dying friend in with us and
      medical adventures (I get a tooth pulled and bridge,
      dh gets el snipped, and ds breaks his arm) and getting
      ready to move again, you can see why. Winter is
      coming, though, so I'll be chatty before you know it.

      Rowenna

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1