Halftime fiascos

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2004
      > From: sylvia@...
      > Subject: Janet Jackson
      >
      > Anyone want to discuss Janet's supposedly breakaway
      > costume on the
      > Superbowl? I.e., does anyone really think it's possible
      > her red bra broke
      > away by accident, as she claims?

      My guess is (and I don't have a vast amount of experience
      with this, just so no one gets the wrong idea) that the
      leather corset-top she was wearing was part of a dominatrix
      outfit and the bra cups were supposed to snap out (I've
      seen a few items along those lines in some of the costuming
      shopping I've done). In an outfit like that, I don't find
      it incredibly plausible that she actually had a bra on
      underneath (especially with a costume quick-change
      involved, since she wasn't wearing it at the start of the
      show), although I suppose it's possible.

      However, that's as far as I can bring myself to suspend
      disbelief. If the bra broke before the top cup was ripped
      away, the tension of the outfit should have held it in
      place so we would have seen the bra cup flopping around.
      And if Justin yanked on it hard enough to break it (and I
      don't see HOW he could have gotten enough of a grip on it
      to do so, grabbing through an upper layer like that), he
      would have had to pull hard enough to just about take Janet
      off her feet--especially if she wasn't expecting it to
      happen. I've been working for almost five years with
      singer-dancers, and NEVER seen one of them break a bra in
      the middle of the show. And while Janet has an admirable
      figure, some of the girls I've worked with are equally as
      well-endowed, or even moreso--doing shows that ranged from
      fifteen minutes of high-energy dancing to forty-five
      minutes of moderate dancing...without the benefit of a
      leather (or any other variety) corset on the exterior to
      provide additional support.

      I think somebody decided this would be a 'cool idea' (not
      going to speculate who, although there had to be at least
      two people who agreed to it), and went ahead without
      letting it be widely known exactly what was going to happen
      (the fact that there was so much hype about the END of the
      halftime show, before the Superbowl even started, makes me
      skeptical about it being limited to just a few people,
      though). And if it wasn't intentional, then heaven help
      the person in charge of her wardrobe, because I would never
      hire them, and don't know anyone who would, either.

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • Maggie Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2004
        > > From: sylvsylvia.ntw
        > > Subject: Janet Jackson
        > >
        > > Anyone want to discuss Janet's supposedly
        > breakaway
        > > costume on the
        > > SupeSuperbowle., does anyone really think it's
        > possible
        > > her red bra broke
        > > away by accident, as she claims?

        Considering this is Janet Jackson we are talking
        about, I cant imagine that her costume wasn't
        painstakingly custom built for her. The cup of the bra
        came off too easleasily cleanly, in my opinion, for
        this "wardrobe accident" to be anything other than
        fully planned and staged. Additionally, she was
        jumping around during the whole number, rather
        vigorously I might add, and the cup didn't fall or
        slip of it's own accord, so it had to be set to come
        off at the right moment. I know I've had to build
        break away costumes before that had to stand up to a
        performer pracpracticallyforming ariaaerialnastics
        before it could come apart.....so I just think Janet
        Jackson has herself a clever stylist who made a fancy
        break-away for her.
        Besides, in all this, I'm just surprised how upset
        people are by the whole thing. It was just a breast.
        I actually have a theory that she did this to take
        some of the heat off her brother. I haven't heard a
        thing about Michael since the supesuperbowlat do you
        all think?

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/