  • rermisch
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2000
      From: <TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com>
      To: <TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 7:36 AM
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Digest Number 12

      <Tara@...>
> [...]
      > detailed things - no two of my costumes are ever exactly
      > alike.
      > >
      > > What are your favorite Costume Movies? 'Midsummer Night's
      > Dream', 'Gone With the Wind' (always wanted to make
      > Scarlett's BBQ dress), 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves',
      > 'Legend', 'Titanic' (and ONLY for the costumes), and a
      > million others...
      > >
      > > What is your favorite historic costume period? lol, just
      > about everything between 1200 and 1920.
      > >
      > > Describe your favorite costume disaster. gosh, there were
      > so many I don't know how I live with them...probably the
      > taffeta medieval gown I made two years ago with the sleeves
      > that just wouldn't fit in the armholes and in turn just
      > won't fit the arms and shoulders in them. I am still
      > struggling with that to this day
      > >
      > > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire,
      > > SCA event,
      > > etc.? I can think of anything too horrendous. I guess
      > the worst was a Tudor/Elizibethan gown at a Medieval faire.
      > And the gown was done in pink and pastel purple ::sigh::
      > so completely wrong...
      > >
      > > What is your favorite weird costume material? cellophane
      > baby! and weird stuff out of the floral departments - you
      > can have lots of fun with spanish moss and garlands of
      > leaves (someone looked at my first fairy costume and
      > remarked that I looked like I had gotten into a fight with
      > a tree and lost) I do much of my material shopping at yard
      > sales, trift shops, salvation army...
      > >
      > > Describe a costume object or material for which you have
      > > searched in
      > > vain. 5+ yards (all one piece) of good, heavy,
      > old-fashioned brocade. The closest I've come were some old
      > red and black brocade curtains. And even then, I can
      > usually come up with something close.
      > >
      > > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In something she could
      > actually wear sometime and some place other than the
      > wedding.
      >
      > Short bio: I am 18 and have been sewing for about a year
      > and a half, and while I am not a prodigy, I do seem to have
      > some good amount of talent. I am in the process of
      > starting a costuming business that specializes in
      > medieval/fantasy and unique bridal/prom/evening gowns. My
      > goal is to be able to customize to almost any budget (we
      > all know the price difference between a gown in velvet and
      > a gown in calico, but they can be equally beautiful)
      > Anyhow, I work from my dining room, am contemplating
      > going to college for costume/fashion design, am engaged
      > (I'll be the first to admit I am too young), manage a Pizza
      > Hut where I am known as the Sacraficial Virgin, and
      > basically live the crazy, hectic teenage life :-)
      >
      > All the best,
      > Jessie
      >

      > =====
      > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
      > - - - - - - - - - -
      > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a long time.
      Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
      somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind of a joke.*"

      > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers from
      hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the distractions.
> [...]
      > town next door) were invited, the snaps gave way on his loincloth which
      > dropped off while on the cross, showing all the little Christian
      > children his "Bike" underwear at the climax.
      >
      > > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
      > > etc.?
      >
      > My favorite, (c. 1978) which lives forever in my mind was a mid
      > Elizabethan court lady gown made perfectly in every way of style and
      > construction, except that the main fabric was bubble gum pink cotton
      > with flocked pink daisies, with a partlet of white cotton with flocked
      > bubble gum pink daisies. It filled me with horror at the time, yet now
      > I rather wish I had one just for the fun of making Ren Faire
      > "authenticity nazis" twitch.
      >
      > > What is your favorite weird costume material? There are so many! I'm
      > > presently using clear vinyl for The Importance of Being Earnest. I
      > > also love carpet and matress foam, insulating foam, t-shirt lights,
      > > and above all fabric paint.
      > >
      > > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
      > > vain.
      >
      > I really want links for good cheap wigs, costume accessories (glasses,
      > gloves, parasols, clown noses, etc.) on the net. The absolute bottom
      > end of stuff like they sell at halloween to civilians, but at low
      > prices, online, all year.
      >
      > > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
      >
      > Knowing my friends (costumers and drag queens) I'd say I would try to
      > find the most hideous fabric in the most appalling shade, hand each one
      > 7 yards of the stuff, and award a prize for the most tasteless outfit by
      > vote of the guests. The competition would be insanely fierce, and make
      > up for the fact that my likely taste in bridal gown would be either
      > extreme of sedate reusable suit or over the top absurd costume
      > extravaganza in bubble wrap.
      >
      > --
      > ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
      > Theatre UAF/The University of Alaska Fairbanks
      >
      > Come see one of the web's largest costume sites
      > "The Costumer's Manifesto" at http://www.costumes.org
      > More costume site than you can surf in a day.
      >
      > See also http://moviefans.to/MenWithBigHair (The Costume Movie Site)
      > and http://visit.to/TheCostumeShop (The UAF Costume Department Online)

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:25:37 -0700
      > From: Tanja Barnes <tanjab@...>
      > Subject: Re: Introducing Tara
      >

      > >I really want links for good cheap wigs, costume accessories (glasses,
      > >gloves, parasols, clown noses, etc.) on the net. The absolute bottom
      > >end of stuff like they sell at halloween to civilians, but at low
      > >prices, online, all year.
      >
      > Tara,
      >
      > Maybe http://www.francoamericannovelty.com/ can help.
      >
      > Good luck, m'dear.
      >
      > All da best from
      > Da Bomb!
      >
      > I don't know what you mean by cheap but Lacey Fashions out of NYC make
      all kinds of wigs and they start at $3.25 for bargain afros in real colors
      or clown to some fun Marie Attoinette high wigs for about $30 .00 that are
      hollow inside and have curls around a stiff netting of some sort. They have
      a catalogue that is only line drawings but say things near the pictures like
      Joan Crawford or Bette Davis or Beast (as in Beauty and the---) , or judge
      Ito when he was popular. They have some great "little women " wigs , center
      part with curls to the sholder. I accuse them of living in the UPS building
      because I get things in Pa. about 2 or no more than 3 days after I call .
      The number is 1-800-562-9911. Don't get bent out of shape if they are a bit
      abrupt. During Halloween the y must be crazy busy, also I think as Hasidic
      Jewish men they can not get too familiar. That said they know me every time
      I call even though there are months in between. They are pretty good at what
      they do.
      Also , Morris Costumes claims that they are the largest costume
      company in the states. They have pretty good prices and things are usually
      in stock. They have everything from $2000. gorillas to 30 cent clown noses.
      They just put out a new catalogue and they are also a good suplier for magic
      supplies. If you remember the early commercials on TV eaons ago where the
      bellhop is walking through the hotel saying "Call for Phillip Morris". a
      brand of cigarette? The bell hop is on the front cover and probably in his
      70s . He was interested in magic all those years and he and his wife built
      up the costume business in Charlotte , N.C.