Re: Sewing with Velvet - Tips/Tricks?

  • mrbs1163
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, K Murphy
      <costumerkate@y...> wrote:
      > Rae:
      >
      > (There are very $$ industrial machines that only have a walking
      foot -- in my experience, that's how the garment industry sews
      velvet).

      I have been working at The Shakespeare Theatre in DC. And for the
      industrials there we have a "velvet foot" it is a little smaller than
      a zipper foot with a hole in the center for the needle, the bottom of
      the foot is shaped in a wedge and pushes the velvet together just on
      the seam line. I love this foot!! Unfortunately, bernina does not
      make one for my machine at home, it seems to be made only for
      industrial machines.

      Maria
    • Stickfries@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2004
        You know, I caught that show once and I was thinking the exact same thing! I
        just saw the episode where she was fighting because an assignment was due on
        in a few days or something and she got upset. It was funny because I am
        currently working on a show where an actor had to leave so roles got switched
        around and added so I am stuck figuring it out in a day or two. But, that is par
        for the course. At first dress, the director may not agree,or I may want to
        change some choices that I have made. It is tough. It is hard enough to get a
        job even with a decade of training and experience. She also needs to be told
        that she has to work on her sketching and rendering skills.

      • sylvia@ntw.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2004
          > I tried buying one from a merchant I met at a sewing fair a few years
          ago. He claimed to make diffferent ones for different types of domestic
          machines but I tried 3 of them on my 3 sewing machines that I owned at
          the time, a Singer, a Pfaff and a Kenmore, and could never find one that
          would fit.

          > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, K Murphy
          >>costumerkate@y...
          >

          > foot -- in my experience, that's how the garment industry sews
          > velvet).
          >
          > I have been working at The Shakespeare Theatre in DC. And for the
          > industrials there we have a "velvet foot" it is a little smaller
          > than
          > a zipper foot with a hole in the center for the needle, the bottom of
          > the foot is shaped in a wedge and pushes the velvet together just on
          > the seam line. I love this foot!! Unfortunately, bernina does not
          > make one for my machine at home, it seems to be made only for
          > industrial machines.
          >
          > Maria
        • K Murphy
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2004
            Hey there, Sylvia and K (Stickfries) --

            Sylivia, the project you saw Karen attending as a "completed" assignment was for the Neo-Futurists, and it was a completely different project from the one I worked on with Karen. I assigned her seven costumes to design and build for a production of "Here Comes the Sun," an original children's theater piece at the Raven Theater in Chicago.

            And yes, I talked to Karen at great length about how the business works, what kinds of jobs are out there in costuming, and also how she couldn't expect just to jump right in to paying design work with no training or education or theatrical costuming experience or rendering skills. She was very nice and glad I was honest with her, and she understood that she was at a disadvantage due to her background. You can tell from watching the show that she also wasn't very enthusiastic about the specific opportunity she had with me. I encouraged her to pursue work in the costume rental business or in wardrobe (especially film and tv because they are more lucrative) because they are easier to break into without an education.

            On TV, you've only seen us together twice, but believe me, we had worked together a great deal more than that before my second appearance (last week), when I told her I'd have to fire her if she was working (as opposed to volunteering) for me.

            I know what "really" happened, but we'll all just have to stay tuned and find out what the "Starting Over" folks decide to show you. I recently found out that one of the original producers of the show (Mary Ellis Bunim) has been very ill and just passed away, which may or may not have contributed to the confusing editing of the different stories.

            "Starting Over" seems to me to be more about emotions and drama than about "reality," so it's not too surprising that they leave out the meat and potatoes and only show you the gravy. It is also very exploitative of the women, always getting them to bare their souls (or legs) and that was something I think Karen chafed at. And once the "Life Coach" decided (several weeks ago) that all Karen needed was "to believe in herself," well, so much for education, training, experience...even the desire to actually do the work.

            Kate Murphy

            sylvia@... wrote:
            Hi Kate,
            ...This concerns past shows so I gather
            you can answer it.

            We saw Karen get together with you a few weeks ago and you gave her an
            assignment to make some costumes for one of your shows. Then we saw her
            go to the opening of said show. Then there was nothing about her for
            awhile until just the other day when we saw her meeting with you again on
            what was apparently a new assignment. Is this the case? Or were they
            flashing back to the first assignment you gave her? It was rather
            confusing. I'm just trying to follow her progress since she is involved
            in the same business so many of us on this list are.

            I also wanted to bring up her problem with hating to sew. I totally
            sympathize, however, I have wondered why no one on Starting Over has
            brought up the point with her that one doesnt automatically get to
            design without putting in years of either construction work or school
            training. Without any prior theatrical experience, does she really think
            that someone is going to hand her a design job, especially one that she
            wouldn't have to sew herself? Has anyone taken the time to explain to her
            how the business really functions?

            Sylrog

          • K D
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
              Hello,
              I don't know if you can help me, but I decided to give
              it a try....
              I saw at the website a some references to a"cameleon
              pattern" and a "cameleon costume" and got
              very interested in it. I tried a search at the
              internet but their site is under construction and thus
              I could have no more
              details....
              Since I am living in Greece, it is impossible to call
              them by phone.
              Thus, i would like to know if you have any information
              conserning this costume/pattern,
              Thanks for any information,
              KD

              http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
            • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
                OO!!! OO!! I can help you!!! I am in the process of ordering some
                cameleon patterns!!
                The Camelion company no longer has a website. You can occasionaly
                find them at Rennisance Festivals, but I don't know if they travel
                overseas. The only website that has any info is http://www.crystal-
                stix.com/camln.html BUT YOU CAN NOT ORDER FROM HERE. Unfortunalty
                all my contact information is at school- I will send it to you first
                thing tomorrow morning. I love the camelions, they are great. I own
                one and have made a couple my self. The company sells the pattern
                which I personaly think is the greatest thing to happen. I also have
                an order placed with them, as soon as I hear from them, I will let
                you know that too. Like I said- contact info, tomorrow morning. (Uh,
                colorado time.) BTW, the web link I gave has a link to a small video
                where you see some demonstration.

                Much apologies for spelling errors- I teach costumes, not english.

                Loretta
                aka lamina the great
                www.laminathegreat.com

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, K D <kallbar@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hello,
                > I don't know if you can help me, but I decided to give
                > it a try....
                > I saw at the website a some references to a"cameleon
                > pattern" and a "cameleon costume" and got
                > very interested in it. I tried a search at the
                > internet but their site is under construction and thus
                > I could have no more
                > details....
                > Since I am living in Greece, it is impossible to call
                > them by phone.
                > Thus, i would like to know if you have any information
                > conserning this costume/pattern,
                > Thanks for any information,
                > KD

              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
                  I saw their clothing at the Michigan renaissance faire.
                  Cool stuff, and I didn't know they make patterns! Please
                  post the ordering info to the list, cause I want some too!
                  Jessica

                  --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong <laminathegreat@...>

                  =====
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004