RE: ordering online

  • Karen Patrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2004
      I am usualy a lurker, but since my "day job" in at a local packaging and
      shipping store I will post.

      Shippers use a combination of size and weight to determine cost. A small
      box weighing 10 lbs might ship for $10, but put that same 10 lbs in a large
      box and it costs $30. The rate we pay for "Shipping and Handling" is the
      buisnesses own estemate of their packaging and shipping costs. Most
      companies will charge somewhere between the average cost and the maximum
      cost of simmiliar packages so that they can provide their customers a
      consistant rate. Large companies that do a LOT of shipping may get bulk
      rates from FedEx or UPS so that they can offer a cheaper rate to customers
      (or just pocket the extra ;))

      As for the companies themselves: I have had good luck ordering with
      fashionfabricsonline. The only disadvantage with them is that you have to
      subscribe to recieve swatches monthly and if you want specific swatches you
      have to buy 1/8yd. They will give you a break on the shipping when ordering
      the 1/8yd. They carry a lot more of the rayons, wiools, linens, polyesters,
      and blends. They always have a selection of fabrics starting at$1.99/yd. I
      got some wonderful rayon for some 40's style dresses for my wedding this
      way. It certianly was a big help with the budget and was exactly what I was
      looking for.

      Toodles for now.
      -Karen

      High-speed users´┐Żbe more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet