Ordering fabrics online

  • xactomundo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2004
      Does anyone have any good references for ordering fabric online. The
      concept seems strange to me, being as I love to feel the hand of a
      fabric and see it in person. I have great fabric sources here in the
      DC Metro area, but just wonder what you all have found out there that
      is worthwhile, good quality and prices. Thanks! Liz
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2004
        Hi,

        I have three favorites: www.fabric.com (shipping time is usually receipt of fabric within a week of order); www.fabrics-store.com (shipping time about 7-10 business days and they specialize in linen, cotton, and some wool...for a 5% discount you can enter this code: 888linen54); www.fashionfabricsclub.com (they are a bit slow on shipping, takes 2-3 weeks to get your order). I use all three frequently and like them all. Prices are quite good even with the shipping charges. The last one FFC has a HUGE selection of all types of fabric.

        Hope this helps,

        Chris

        xactomundo <lizsavage@...> wrote:
        Does anyone have any good references for ordering fabric online. The
        concept seems strange to me, being as I love to feel the hand of a
        fabric and see it in person. I have great fabric sources here in the
        DC Metro area, but just wonder what you all have found out there that
        is worthwhile, good quality and prices. Thanks! Liz

        Because the Past is the Present and the Future too

        Our greatest glory is not in never failing,
        but in rising up every time we fail.
        Ralph Waldo Emerson

      • bearhedded
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2004
          I was amazed at the fabrics we got from NY2U. Owned by Brian
          Timmer in Astoria NY, (718) 956-6094, voice, and
          (718)956-5943, fax. I googled "ny2u", and apparently, a
          webpage is almost ready.

          The beauty here is that you can have them swatch first, and shop
          for what you like! It's like a shopping trip to NYC for $50.00!!!
          ($25/project/day, plus the cost of fabric and shipping, of
          course...)

          the list of services they offer is impressive. Keep an eye peeled!

          BH
        • Poppy Shell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2004
            ALOHA: This site has recently discussed fabric stores. Buying on line
            works for me because I live in Hawaii, on Kauai, where we have very few
            choices to buy fabric. BUT: Shipping can be terrible. Hancockfabric.com
            only charges $6 to ship, just yesterday I bought 20 YARDS of flannel from
            them, which will weight alot. Still only $6 to ship. Just for a
            comparrison, I bought a pair of lace gloves on ebay (which weight nothing)
            and the shipping was also $6! Fabric Depot in Portland ORegon has a good
            web site, pretty easy to use, alot of bridal fabrics, but Hancock is less
            expensive. My next play: GUYS AND DOLLS. I'll have photos in a few months.
            POPPY