RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for paterns

  • Marc & Patt Queen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2001
      Simplicity patterns = many are historically correct. Of course, all their
      patterns are modern sizing & modern sewing techniques. They range from
      medieval, renaissance, civil war, Victorian, Edwardian, & some costumes from
      the 20's, 30's & 40's. For the 20th century costumes, you may also check
      out Vogue & Butterick - I believe they have "retro" & "vintage lines. The
      latter may or may not be listed under costumes. Check out their websites.
      As for Butterick/Vogues costumes, they are not impressive. McCall's
      costumes are okay, though I doubt you can view their catalog online.
      Simplicity's are the best - & your best shot is going to a fabric store to
      see the entire costume collection (they don't carry it all online).

      http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.list.10140.x=1&UK=
      10178471
      http://www.simplicity.com/s2b.htm
      http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.list.20007.x=1
      &UK=10185329

      SUN VALLEY COSTUME
      Patt Queen, Costumier
      mpqueen@...
      www.sunvalleycostume.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2001
        --- kitwolfdesigns@... wrote:
        > Hello, Im a costumer out in NJ and I am looking for
        > authentic looking
        > costume paterns but that are adapted to modern methods
        > and that are a
        > comfortable fit. Anyone have any recomendations?

        I haven't tried them, but Simplicity has a few Civil
        War era patterns that are supposed to be pretty authentic.
        You could also try FolkWear patterns. I think the address
        is www.folkwear.com. I haven't tried those yet either, and
        I've heard mixed reviews. But check out some of the
        regular commercial patterns. Some of them are very
        authentic looking or just need a few alterations.

        -Jessie

        =====
        - - - - - - - - - -

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001
          Allo everyone!

          Just curious - what is everyone up to right now? I finally
          just got a sewing machine of my own, which means no more
          stealing my mum's. I am at college at Slippery Rock, and
          there is but one fabric store in this two-light town. It's
          very expensive though. The lady who runs it wants twice as
          much money for the same fabric that I could get at Jo Anns
          or Walmart. I haven't had any big orders lately, not since
          the Renaissance wedding gown, just a few repairs and
          alterations. ANYONE NEED A HALLOWEEN COSTUME?

          All the best,
          Jessie

          =====
          - - - - - - - - - -

          http://phone.yahoo.com
        • Raun Norby
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001

            I am working on an original play and am delaying getting started on the purchasing that I have to do.  The director of the show is a loon, so I hate having to talk to him all the time.  Maybe this show I will get paid a little.

            Hope all is well in the cyber costume realm

            Raun

          • ElfEater
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
              Wow, i feel so out of place. ^-^ Here I am complaining that I have
              to find the right material for a little costume, and you guys are out
              making these awesome things! I know nobody really knows me on here,
              but I thought I would jump in!
              Right now, I am still fan costuming. But I hope this spring to
              finally come out with my own designs. It is just hard to make money
              right now, having costuming as my only income! (Being 19 is great,
              haha). Im also thinking about school. I would really love to do
              something in the costume/fashion world. But, design school is so
              much money. So, Im looking over my options and seeing what I can do.
              I've never been to a rein. fair. But when I move to the east
              coast, I hope to finally see one! I want to gawk at all the costumes!

              Thanks for all the help from before, I finally found hair pieces and
              a nice white makeup! ^_^

              One last thing. How much would a nice 'Serger' run? The lady at
              the fabric store said $500, but im wishing to find one a little
              cheaper than that! ^_^

              Christina
              http://costume.elfeater.com
              http://www.elfeater.com

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Siebel San <siebelsan@y...> wrote:
              > Allo everyone!
              >
              > Just curious - what is everyone up to right now? I finally
              > just got a sewing machine of my own, which means no more
              > stealing my mum's. I am at college at Slippery Rock, and
              > there is but one fabric store in this two-light town. It's
              > very expensive though. The lady who runs it wants twice as
              > much money for the same fabric that I could get at Jo Anns
              > or Walmart. I haven't had any big orders lately, not since
              > the Renaissance wedding gown, just a few repairs and
              > alterations. ANYONE NEED A HALLOWEEN COSTUME?
              >
              > All the best,
              > Jessie
              >

              > =====
              > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
              > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a
              long time. Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I
              expect some god somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
              of a joke.*"

              > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers
              from hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the
              distractions.