Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for paterns

  • Jeni Stacy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2001
      Hi!
      If you are interested in medieval and early Ren. patterns I have a suggestion for you. Have you tried the Kirtle pattern from Rocking horse designs? The pattern is great and I have made it several dozen times and altered it to fit my needs. Currently I have split the side seams and added a "fake panel" to look like a full underskirt. I cropped the sleeves, added buttons and voile! instant coathardie! Rocking Horse designs is out of Ohio and I am able to order their patterns from a company called Smoke and Fire (they actually deal with more early american history clothes and such but also happen to have a page for medieval) You can visit smoke and fire at smoke-fire.com or call (419)878-8535 for a catalog. Rocking Horse Patterns also has several other designs that are very well done also. I prefer these patterns to other companys like Period Patterns or any thing from Simplicity, McCalls or Butterick. Good Luck! Jeni Stacy

      --- kitwolfdesigns@...
      > wrote:
      >Hello, Im a costumer out in NJ and I am looking for authentic looking
      >costume paterns but that are adapted to modern methods and that are a
      >comfortable fit. Anyone have any recomendations?

      ( Sign up for a FREE you@... email address at http://www.futurizmo.com )
    • Marc & Patt Queen
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 25, 2001
        Simplicity patterns = many are historically correct. Of course, all their
        patterns are modern sizing & modern sewing techniques. They range from
        medieval, renaissance, civil war, Victorian, Edwardian, & some costumes from
        the 20's, 30's & 40's. For the 20th century costumes, you may also check
        out Vogue & Butterick - I believe they have "retro" & "vintage lines. The
        latter may or may not be listed under costumes. Check out their websites.
        As for Butterick/Vogues costumes, they are not impressive. McCall's
        costumes are okay, though I doubt you can view their catalog online.
        Simplicity's are the best - & your best shot is going to a fabric store to
        see the entire costume collection (they don't carry it all online).

        http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.list.10140.x=1&UK=
        10178471
        http://www.simplicity.com/s2b.htm
        http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.list.20007.x=1
        &UK=10185329

        SUN VALLEY COSTUME
        Patt Queen, Costumier
        mpqueen@...
        www.sunvalleycostume.com

        > Hello, Im a costumer out in NJ and I am looking for authentic looking
        > costume paterns but that are adapted to modern methods and that are a
        > comfortable fit. Anyone have any recomendations?
      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2001
          --- kitwolfdesigns@... wrote:
          > Hello, Im a costumer out in NJ and I am looking for
          > authentic looking
          > costume paterns but that are adapted to modern methods
          > and that are a
          > comfortable fit. Anyone have any recomendations?

          I haven't tried them, but Simplicity has a few Civil
          War era patterns that are supposed to be pretty authentic.
          You could also try FolkWear patterns. I think the address
          is www.folkwear.com. I haven't tried those yet either, and
          I've heard mixed reviews. But check out some of the
          regular commercial patterns. Some of them are very
          authentic looking or just need a few alterations.

          -Jessie

          =====
          - - - - - - - - - -

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001
            Allo everyone!

            Just curious - what is everyone up to right now? I finally
            just got a sewing machine of my own, which means no more
            stealing my mum's. I am at college at Slippery Rock, and
            there is but one fabric store in this two-light town. It's
            very expensive though. The lady who runs it wants twice as
            much money for the same fabric that I could get at Jo Anns
            or Walmart. I haven't had any big orders lately, not since
            the Renaissance wedding gown, just a few repairs and
            alterations. ANYONE NEED A HALLOWEEN COSTUME?

            All the best,
            Jessie

            =====
            - - - - - - - - - -

            http://phone.yahoo.com
          • Raun Norby
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001

              I am working on an original play and am delaying getting started on the purchasing that I have to do.  The director of the show is a loon, so I hate having to talk to him all the time.  Maybe this show I will get paid a little.

              Hope all is well in the cyber costume realm

              Raun

            • ElfEater
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
                Wow, i feel so out of place. ^-^ Here I am complaining that I have
                to find the right material for a little costume, and you guys are out
                making these awesome things! I know nobody really knows me on here,
                but I thought I would jump in!
                Right now, I am still fan costuming. But I hope this spring to
                finally come out with my own designs. It is just hard to make money
                right now, having costuming as my only income! (Being 19 is great,
                haha). Im also thinking about school. I would really love to do
                something in the costume/fashion world. But, design school is so
                much money. So, Im looking over my options and seeing what I can do.
                I've never been to a rein. fair. But when I move to the east
                coast, I hope to finally see one! I want to gawk at all the costumes!

                Thanks for all the help from before, I finally found hair pieces and
                a nice white makeup! ^_^

                One last thing. How much would a nice 'Serger' run? The lady at
                the fabric store said $500, but im wishing to find one a little
                cheaper than that! ^_^

                Christina
                http://costume.elfeater.com
                http://www.elfeater.com

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Siebel San <siebelsan@y...> wrote:
                > Allo everyone!
                >
                > Just curious - what is everyone up to right now? I finally
                > just got a sewing machine of my own, which means no more
                > stealing my mum's. I am at college at Slippery Rock, and
                > there is but one fabric store in this two-light town. It's
                > very expensive though. The lady who runs it wants twice as
                > much money for the same fabric that I could get at Jo Anns
                > or Walmart. I haven't had any big orders lately, not since
                > the Renaissance wedding gown, just a few repairs and
                > alterations. ANYONE NEED A HALLOWEEN COSTUME?
                >
                > All the best,
                > Jessie
                >

                > =====
                > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
                > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a
                long time. Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I
                expect some god somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
                of a joke.*"

                > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers
                from hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the
                distractions.