Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Medieval Clerics

  • Liz Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2001
      on 9/9/01 4:16 PM, lisa grieve at amethyst_raindrop@... wrote:

      > Hey all,
      > I'm taking this great fashion class at school, and we're doing a "History of
      > Fashion" project. I was assigned the medieval era. I have been through
      > many search engines and costumes.org and I can't find much info on what
      > medieval clerics wore (I could only get basic stuff) and I can't find
      > anything on the fabrics used.
      > If anyone has any info, websites, etc, I would really appreciate it.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Lisa

      You might try this one
      http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ33.HTM
      Liz
    • Marc & Patt Queen
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2001
        Liz - this may sound a little off the wall, but have you tried looking into
        some Art History textbooks? The primary one I know of is by H.W. Janson -
        its a biggie & very expensive, but I'm sure your local library or college
        would have one.

        You might focus on the Middle Ages, & look closely at what the artists of
        the time were painting - I know there were alot of religious paintings that
        encompassed clergy as well as Jesus & the Saints. This won't tell you the
        fabrics used - but at least you could get an idea as to what the clerics
        wore.

        SUN VALLEY COSTUME
        Patt Queen, Costumier
        mpqueen@...
        www.sunvalleycostume.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2001
            > Hey all,
            > I'm taking this great fashion class at school, and we're
            > doing a "History of
            > Fashion" project. I was assigned the medieval era. I
            > have been through
            > many search engines and costumes.org and I can't find
            > much info on what
            > medieval clerics wore (I could only get basic stuff) and
            > I can't find
            > anything on the fabrics used.
            > If anyone has any info, websites, etc, I would really
            > appreciate it.

            I wouldn't say that this is the most accurate source, but
            some movies set in the Medieval era might give a little
            information. Don't know how accurate or if your professor
            will accept them as sources though.

            -Jessie

            =====

            http://im.yahoo.com