Re: fairy and butterfly wings

  • nanniemouse
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "phosteres"
      <phosteres@y...> wrote:
      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ethnofusion"
      > <ethnofusion@y...> wrote:
      > > looking for instructions on how to make fairy and butterfly wings.
      > >
      > > using organza fabric for the wings and wire for support

      Years ago, when I was in puppetry class, we bent reed into wing
      shapes, put glue on the reed and laid it on the organza and let it
      dry. I then cut it out, adding a little seam allowence and rolled it
      to the back and stiched it for extra strength. I then painted the
      glued area so it wouldn't show. You can adapt this to wire if you are
      very careful with the glue. I use the glue because I tend to bend the
      wings while sewing. The glue stabalizes the wing a bit for stitching.
      I was not the most talented seamstress at the time. You can paint the
      whole butterfly pattern after the wings are asembled. The wings I
      have seen were stiched to a small, interfaced panel with ribbons
      attached like backpack straps that tied in back so they were
      ajustable. I haven't made wings in a long time and I'm not sure this
      explaination makes sense, but I hope it helps.

      Kathleen

      Kathleen