Medieval Clerics

  • lisa grieve
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9 4:16 PM
      Hey all,
      I'm taking this great fashion class at school, and we're doing a "History of
      Fashion" project. I was assigned the medieval era. I have been through
      many search engines and costumes.org and I can't find much info on what
      medieval clerics wore (I could only get basic stuff) and I can't find
      anything on the fabrics used.
      If anyone has any info, websites, etc, I would really appreciate it.

      Thanks,
      Lisa

    • Liz Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9 8:21 PM
        on 9/9/01 4:16 PM, lisa grieve at amethyst_raindrop@... wrote:

        > Hey all,
        > I'm taking this great fashion class at school, and we're doing a "History of
        > Fashion" project. I was assigned the medieval era. I have been through
        > many search engines and costumes.org and I can't find much info on what
        > medieval clerics wore (I could only get basic stuff) and I can't find
        > anything on the fabrics used.
        > If anyone has any info, websites, etc, I would really appreciate it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Lisa

        You might try this one
        http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ33.HTM
        Liz
      • Marc & Patt Queen
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10 5:25 PM
          Liz - this may sound a little off the wall, but have you tried looking into
          some Art History textbooks? The primary one I know of is by H.W. Janson -
          its a biggie & very expensive, but I'm sure your local library or college
          would have one.

          You might focus on the Middle Ages, & look closely at what the artists of
          the time were painting - I know there were alot of religious paintings that
          encompassed clergy as well as Jesus & the Saints. This won't tell you the
          fabrics used - but at least you could get an idea as to what the clerics
          wore.

          SUN VALLEY COSTUME
          Patt Queen, Costumier
          mpqueen@...
          www.sunvalleycostume.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10 7:17 PM
              > Hey all,
              > I'm taking this great fashion class at school, and we're
              > doing a "History of
              > Fashion" project. I was assigned the medieval era. I
              > have been through
              > many search engines and costumes.org and I can't find
              > much info on what
              > medieval clerics wore (I could only get basic stuff) and
              > I can't find
              > anything on the fabrics used.
              > If anyone has any info, websites, etc, I would really
              > appreciate it.

              I wouldn't say that this is the most accurate source, but
              some movies set in the Medieval era might give a little
              information. Don't know how accurate or if your professor
              will accept them as sources though.

              -Jessie

              =====

              http://im.yahoo.com