  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2004
      > Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:56:34 -0000
      > From: "patfromct1954" <patfromct1954@...>
      > Subject: Newbie
      > I am making leggings for some guys in the Governor's
      > FootGuard and
      > need to put boning in to hold them up. I had two
      > choices, the Dritz
      > boning with the casing, or rigilene, which I think will
      > be easier to
      > install. I just need to know how careful I need to be
      > and what size
      > needle to use, etc.

      I have had pretty good success just stitching straight
      through rigilene with a denim needle. You need to go slow,
      give yourself a chance to slip off to the side if you find
      yourself stitching through the nylon cords (or you'll be
      replacing a lot of needles!) But you can stitch it
      directly to the material you're reinforcing or, even
      better, to your casing material (which is typically easier
      to manipulate and line up straight when you're fastening
      the boning to the garment).

      I, too, am curious that you're using boning in gaiters or
      leggings...I've used them for some early 18th century boots
      in shows, but gaiters and leggings are typically so tight
      to the leg that there's no real chance for them to sag,
      especially if they are tall enough to rise above the curve
      of the calf muscles. But, you know better than I what the
      demands on these items are...I'm just not sure that you're
      not making more work for yourself than is necessary.

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/