Dry-cleanable fabric glue

  • Anna M.C.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
      'Allo,

      I will soon be embarking on a costuming project in which I will need to
      fasten a scattering of several hundred individual sequins on lace. I
      could theoretically hand-sew them one at a time, but for the quantity of
      sequins I will need, and the size of the dress in question, it would
      take, at a conservative estimate, the rest of my natural life. ; ) The
      problem I'm encountering is finding a fabric glue that's dry-cleanable.
      I've worked with Beacon's Fabri-Tac before, and overall was pleased
      with it, but it's not dry-cleanable, and neither are any of the Alene's
      fabric glues, or anything else I've seen in the stores.

      So far, a friend recommended trying to use Jones Tones Dimensional
      Fabric Paint in Shiny Clear, found here, among other places:
      http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1829-AA.shtml

      I also found dry-cleanable Glitz and Glamour Jewel Fabric Glue, here:
      http://www.glitzonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=glitz&Product_Code=glue

      Before I take the plunge and buy something unfamiliar online, has anyone
      here ever actually used one of these, or a different dry-cleanable glue?
      What were your results? Do you have any other suggestions for
      attaching the sequins?

      Thanks,

      Anna M.C.
    • bearhedded
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
        Delta Jewel Glue is washable, dry-cleanable, dries clear and
        shiny and flexible, AND you can mix glitter or pearl powder in with
        it for different effects.....2 of my co workers silk-screened it onto
        t-shirts, and sprinkled it with micro-glitter, quite snappy!

        great stuff.

        It's also waterbased, no nauseating fumes!

        Comes in white plastic squirt bottles with orchid and teal printing
        (hard to miss!)

        BH
      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
          Have you considered that many sequins are destroyed by drycleaning? If this is a piece that will be worn a great deal, you may want to construct it so that the lace and sequin portions can be removed for cleaning, or use garment shields/underdressing to avoid cleaning it altogether.

          The glue I prefer is Magna Tac, which is a clear, thick, water-based glue that becomes water proof and drycleanable when dry. It has two draw backs: it doesn't dry that quickly and it can be hard to find outside metro areas. You can order it online from Millinery Supply Co. (www.milliners.com). Don't be confused, as there are several products with "Magna Tac" followed by a number that are used for other purposes.

          Hope this helps,

          Kate Murphy

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
            I re-read a newer bottle of Jewel Glue today, and it no longer
            says: "dry-cleanable". I don't know if they've changed the
            formula, or the dry-cleaners have found a more tortuous
            concoction with which to remove soil---however, it still acts like a
            PVA (poly-vinyl acetate) glue, like Phlex-glu (RIP) which, if
            memory serves, is dry-cleanable.

            Sorry for any confusion, (and I'm trying to get pictures of the
            project with the seam ripper, the Rigilene, and the steam-iron.)

            BH