Re: Gaiters and boning

  • patfromct1954
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      Hi Judy and thank you for your response.

      The boning is to ensure that they do stay up. I have made this set
      out of stretch twill, and they are somewhat tight, but I have copied
      another pair of gaiters and have not even sized them to the soldier
      they are going on. The previous person who made them put in the
      rigilene, and they have requested that I do it too, just to be sure.
      I did a layer of twill and then a cotton lining. Along the seam, I
      am installing the rigilene. These zip and do not button. I have
      some wool knit coming in which I am going to felt, then see how much
      stretch they have :-) It should be easier to work with than the
      twill, and give a better fit.

      THanks for the infor on the waistcoats. I am going to order both
      patterns today to check them out and make up a small for a sample for
      them!!

      Thank you everyone who responded!!

      pat in ct

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Judith Cataldo"
      <judycat@e...> wrote:
      > > I am making leggings for some guys in the Governor's FootGuard and
      > > need to put boning in to hold them up.
      >
      > I don't quite understand why you would need to put boning in
      gaiters.
      > Gaiters are usually made of a heavy fabric and fit tightly so they
      stay up
      > on their own. Some people use the duct tape method to get a good
      fit. You
      > put a knee-hi nylon stocking over the persons stockinged foot
      (stocking they
      > will wear with the uniform) and cover snugly with duct tape. Cut
      the duct
      > tape covered nylon down the side and use this to adjust the pattern.
      > Before any of us heard of this method we would fit in the more
      traditional
      > way using measurements to make the initial pattern and then fit
      them. The
      > button holes would go in along the one edge and then the buttons
      were placed
      > so the gaiters would fit tightly. Some units paint the gaiters to
      make them
      > stiffer and waterproof. There are several ways to achieve this so
      these
      > are just 2 methods. I believe the Foot Guard wear 1/2 gaiters but
      NWTA has
      > some instructions at their site:
      > http://www.nwta.com/patterns/pdfs/212fullg.pdf
      >

      > > Also, some are looking for waistcoats. CAn anyone recommend a
      > > pattern?? Are any of you familiar with the Foot Guard??
      > >
      > You might check the info at http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/
      Personally,