Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Gaiters

  • Judith Cataldo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      > I am making leggings for some guys in the Governor's FootGuard and
      > need to put boning in to hold them up.

      I don't quite understand why you would need to put boning in gaiters.
      Gaiters are usually made of a heavy fabric and fit tightly so they stay up
      on their own. Some people use the duct tape method to get a good fit. You
      put a knee-hi nylon stocking over the persons stockinged foot (stocking they
      will wear with the uniform) and cover snugly with duct tape. Cut the duct
      tape covered nylon down the side and use this to adjust the pattern.
      Before any of us heard of this method we would fit in the more traditional
      way using measurements to make the initial pattern and then fit them. The
      button holes would go in along the one edge and then the buttons were placed
      so the gaiters would fit tightly. Some units paint the gaiters to make them
      stiffer and waterproof. There are several ways to achieve this so these
      are just 2 methods. I believe the Foot Guard wear 1/2 gaiters but NWTA has
      some instructions at their site:
      http://www.nwta.com/patterns/pdfs/212fullg.pdf

      > Also, some are looking for waistcoats. CAn anyone recommend a
      > pattern?? Are any of you familiar with the Foot Guard??

      You might check the info at http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/ Personally,
      I like the JP Ryan patterns http://www.jpryan.com/gentspatterns.html

      Judy
    • patfromct1954
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
        Hi Judy and thank you for your response.

        The boning is to ensure that they do stay up. I have made this set
        out of stretch twill, and they are somewhat tight, but I have copied
        another pair of gaiters and have not even sized them to the soldier
        they are going on. The previous person who made them put in the
        rigilene, and they have requested that I do it too, just to be sure.
        I did a layer of twill and then a cotton lining. Along the seam, I
        am installing the rigilene. These zip and do not button. I have
        some wool knit coming in which I am going to felt, then see how much
        stretch they have :-) It should be easier to work with than the
        twill, and give a better fit.

        THanks for the infor on the waistcoats. I am going to order both
        patterns today to check them out and make up a small for a sample for
        them!!

        Thank you everyone who responded!!

        pat in ct

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Judith Cataldo"