fairy and butterfly wings

  • ethnofusion
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004
      looking for instructions on how to make fairy and butterfly wings.

      using organza fabric for the wings and wire for support
    • phosteres
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ethnofusion"
        <ethnofusion@y...> wrote:
        > looking for instructions on how to make fairy and butterfly wings.
        >
        > using organza fabric for the wings and wire for support

        Something I have done to great effect, after forming the wire to the
        size and shape you wish, sew a close seam around the edge of the wire,
        (making a pocket), then paint a light coat of "Stiffy" on the
        organza. This will stiffen the fabric a little bit, so it will hold
        it's shape better and give the organza a more shiny wing-like
        appearance. It's inexpensive and works great.

        Cyn
        A happy Disney Artisan
      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
          http://www.bact.org/iol_wings_2.html This is an
          interesting site. But for something easier, it seems to me
          that all you would have to do is shape your wire frames,
          use that as a guide for cutting your organza, then handsew
          and bind the edges. decorate however you see fit :-)
          Jessica (a veteran wing-wearer)

          --- ethnofusion <ethnofusion@...> wrote:
          > looking for instructions on how to make fairy and
          > butterfly wings.
          >
          > using organza fabric for the wings and wire for support

          =====
        • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
            This site is short pictures but is very helpful..
            http://www.angelfire.com/magic/rosemilk/wingsmain.html
            yet another reason to post my wing tutorial online.....

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "phosteres"
            <phosteres@y...> wrote:
            > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ethnofusion"
            > <ethnofusion@y...> wrote:
            > > looking for instructions on how to make fairy and butterfly
            wings.

            > > using organza fabric for the wings and wire for support
            >
            > Something I have done to great effect, after forming the wire to
            the
            > size and shape you wish, sew a close seam around the edge of the
            wire,
            > (making a pocket), then paint a light coat of "Stiffy" on the
            > organza. This will stiffen the fabric a little bit, so it will
            hold
            > it's shape better and give the organza a more shiny wing-like
            > appearance. It's inexpensive and works great.
            >
            > Cyn
            > A happy Disney Artisan
          • nanniemouse
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
              <phosteres@y...> wrote:
              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ethnofusion"
              > <ethnofusion@y...> wrote:
              > > looking for instructions on how to make fairy and butterfly wings.
              > >
              > > using organza fabric for the wings and wire for support

              Years ago, when I was in puppetry class, we bent reed into wing
              shapes, put glue on the reed and laid it on the organza and let it
              dry. I then cut it out, adding a little seam allowence and rolled it
              to the back and stiched it for extra strength. I then painted the
              glued area so it wouldn't show. You can adapt this to wire if you are
              very careful with the glue. I use the glue because I tend to bend the
              wings while sewing. The glue stabalizes the wing a bit for stitching.
              I was not the most talented seamstress at the time. You can paint the
              whole butterfly pattern after the wings are asembled. The wings I
              have seen were stiched to a small, interfaced panel with ribbons
              attached like backpack straps that tied in back so they were
              ajustable. I haven't made wings in a long time and I'm not sure this
              explaination makes sense, but I hope it helps.

              Kathleen

              Kathleen