Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Newbie

  • randy keator
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
      Hi Pat ! I'm sure some of the pro's here can help you better than I but I've
      had quite a bit of experience w/rigilene as I use it to make my own show
      corsets. I've found that the best way to keep it in place other than lots of
      large pins( which makes the stitching process much longer )is to use a
      dissovable adhesive ( like kids gluestick ) to fasten the stay in place then
      tack the lining over it and stitch the whole thing at once. Mine all get
      cleaned befroe wearing so the glue comes out w/the first cleaning and the
      non-staining ones I use really are non-staining. I use one needle size
      larger than standard for my machine as the thread is a little heavier
      weight. hope this helps some/Randy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
        NOW you got me curious!!!!!!!

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "bearhedded"
        <bearhedded@h...> wrote:
        > Hi, Pat,
        >
        > Rigilene is pretty terrific stuff. It gives you a tiny little
        seam
        > allowance along the edges, but you can stitch it between the ribs
        > as well. It's especially helpful if you use a foot that has
        channels
        > in it, the ribs help to align it, almost automatically.
        >
        > Your needle size would depend on the fabric coice. I use a #14
        > through Rig. with no problems.
        >
        > BH
        >
        > .....and wait til you see what you can do to it with a seam ripper,
        > some beads, and a steam iron!!!!!
      • bearhedded
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
          By the way.... I WOULDN'T try to apply it with an overlock
          machine. When you cut the selvedge, it can ravel, and the
          stiffness of the product could REALLY damage the loopers!
        • patfromct1954
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
            Thank you for that!! Ya never know what I might try with the
            serger!! I understand Juki makes the Berninas, so they are tough,
            but not industrial!!

            thanksagain!!
            pat

            <bearhedded@h...> wrote:

            > By the way.... I WOULDN'T try to apply it with an overlock
            > machine. When you cut the selvedge, it can ravel, and the
            > stiffness of the product could REALLY damage the loopers!
          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
              An even easier way would be to do it the way they would
              have done it back then. I am part of a French and
              Indian/Revolutionary war reenacting group. The men in our
              group held up their gaitors/leggings with garters. Some
              used leather ones, which look like little belts that fasten
              around the leg. Other men used the wool garters we wove.
              You simply fasten the leather ones or tie the woven ones
              just under the knee where the calf curves in.
              Hope thi helps!
              Jessica

              =====