Re: Newbie

  • bearhedded
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi, Pat,

      Rigilene is pretty terrific stuff. It gives you a tiny little seam
      allowance along the edges, but you can stitch it between the ribs
      as well. It's especially helpful if you use a foot that has channels
      in it, the ribs help to align it, almost automatically.

      Your needle size would depend on the fabric coice. I use a #14
      through Rig. with no problems.

      BH

      .....and wait til you see what you can do to it with a seam ripper,
      some beads, and a steam iron!!!!!
    • randy keator
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
        Hi Pat ! I'm sure some of the pro's here can help you better than I but I've
        had quite a bit of experience w/rigilene as I use it to make my own show
        corsets. I've found that the best way to keep it in place other than lots of
        large pins( which makes the stitching process much longer )is to use a
        dissovable adhesive ( like kids gluestick ) to fasten the stay in place then
        tack the lining over it and stitch the whole thing at once. Mine all get
        cleaned befroe wearing so the glue comes out w/the first cleaning and the
        non-staining ones I use really are non-staining. I use one needle size
        larger than standard for my machine as the thread is a little heavier
        weight. hope this helps some/Randy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
          NOW you got me curious!!!!!!!

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "bearhedded"
          <bearhedded@h...> wrote:
          > Hi, Pat,
          >
          > Rigilene is pretty terrific stuff. It gives you a tiny little
          seam
          > allowance along the edges, but you can stitch it between the ribs
          > as well. It's especially helpful if you use a foot that has
          channels
          > in it, the ribs help to align it, almost automatically.
          >
          > Your needle size would depend on the fabric coice. I use a #14
          > through Rig. with no problems.
          >
          > BH
          >
          > .....and wait til you see what you can do to it with a seam ripper,
          > some beads, and a steam iron!!!!!
        • bearhedded
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
            By the way.... I WOULDN'T try to apply it with an overlock
            machine. When you cut the selvedge, it can ravel, and the
            stiffness of the product could REALLY damage the loopers!
          • patfromct1954
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
              Thank you for that!! Ya never know what I might try with the
              serger!! I understand Juki makes the Berninas, so they are tough,
              but not industrial!!

              thanksagain!!
              pat

              <bearhedded@h...> wrote:

              > By the way.... I WOULDN'T try to apply it with an overlock
              > machine. When you cut the selvedge, it can ravel, and the
              > stiffness of the product could REALLY damage the loopers!
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
                An even easier way would be to do it the way they would
                have done it back then. I am part of a French and
                Indian/Revolutionary war reenacting group. The men in our
                group held up their gaitors/leggings with garters. Some
                used leather ones, which look like little belts that fasten
                around the leg. Other men used the wool garters we wove.
                You simply fasten the leather ones or tie the woven ones
                just under the knee where the calf curves in.
                Hope thi helps!
                Jessica

                =====