Newbie

  • patfromct1954
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
      I found this group while looking for information on how to install
      rigilene, since it is my first time working with it. What a
      wonderful group!!!

      I am making leggings for some guys in the Governor's FootGuard and
      need to put boning in to hold them up. I had two choices, the Dritz
      boning with the casing, or rigilene, which I think will be easier to
      install. I just need to know how careful I need to be and what size
      needle to use, etc.

      Also, some are looking for waistcoats. CAn anyone recommend a
      pattern?? Are any of you familiar with the Foot Guard??

      Thanks for any help you can provide me with. I was so happy to find
      this group!!!

      pat in ct
    • bearhedded
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
        Hi, Pat,

        Rigilene is pretty terrific stuff. It gives you a tiny little seam
        allowance along the edges, but you can stitch it between the ribs
        as well. It's especially helpful if you use a foot that has channels
        in it, the ribs help to align it, almost automatically.

        Your needle size would depend on the fabric coice. I use a #14
        through Rig. with no problems.

        BH

        .....and wait til you see what you can do to it with a seam ripper,
        some beads, and a steam iron!!!!!
      • randy keator
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
          Hi Pat ! I'm sure some of the pro's here can help you better than I but I've
          had quite a bit of experience w/rigilene as I use it to make my own show
          corsets. I've found that the best way to keep it in place other than lots of
          large pins( which makes the stitching process much longer )is to use a
          dissovable adhesive ( like kids gluestick ) to fasten the stay in place then
          tack the lining over it and stitch the whole thing at once. Mine all get
          cleaned befroe wearing so the glue comes out w/the first cleaning and the
          non-staining ones I use really are non-staining. I use one needle size
          larger than standard for my machine as the thread is a little heavier
          weight. hope this helps some/Randy
          > I found this group while looking for information on how to install
          > rigilene, since it is my first time working with it. What a
          > wonderful group!!!
          >
          > I am making leggings for some guys in the Governor's FootGuard and
          > need to put boning in to hold them up. I had two choices, the Dritz
          > boning with the casing, or rigilene, which I think will be easier to
          > install. I just need to know how careful I need to be and what size
          > needle to use, etc.
          >
          > Also, some are looking for waistcoats. CAn anyone recommend a
          > pattern?? Are any of you familiar with the Foot Guard??
          >
          > Thanks for any help you can provide me with. I was so happy to find
          > this group!!!
          >
          > pat in ct
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >

          > ---
          > [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus
          Scanning]

          ---
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
            NOW you got me curious!!!!!!!

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "bearhedded"
            <bearhedded@h...> wrote:
            > Hi, Pat,
            >
            > Rigilene is pretty terrific stuff. It gives you a tiny little
            seam
            > allowance along the edges, but you can stitch it between the ribs
            > as well. It's especially helpful if you use a foot that has
            channels
            > in it, the ribs help to align it, almost automatically.
            >
            > Your needle size would depend on the fabric coice. I use a #14
            > through Rig. with no problems.
            >
            > BH
            >
            > .....and wait til you see what you can do to it with a seam ripper,
            > some beads, and a steam iron!!!!!
          • bearhedded
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
              By the way.... I WOULDN'T try to apply it with an overlock
              machine. When you cut the selvedge, it can ravel, and the
              stiffness of the product could REALLY damage the loopers!
            • patfromct1954
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
                Thank you for that!! Ya never know what I might try with the
                serger!! I understand Juki makes the Berninas, so they are tough,
                but not industrial!!

                thanksagain!!
                pat

                <bearhedded@h...> wrote:

                > By the way.... I WOULDN'T try to apply it with an overlock
                > machine. When you cut the selvedge, it can ravel, and the
                > stiffness of the product could REALLY damage the loopers!
              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
                  An even easier way would be to do it the way they would
                  have done it back then. I am part of a French and
                  Indian/Revolutionary war reenacting group. The men in our
                  group held up their gaitors/leggings with garters. Some
                  used leather ones, which look like little belts that fasten
                  around the leg. Other men used the wool garters we wove.
                  You simply fasten the leather ones or tie the woven ones
                  just under the knee where the calf curves in.
                  Hope thi helps!
                  Jessica

                  =====