Re: Sketches

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      > I have very little drawing skill. I usually trace a figure from a
      > sillohutte (sp) I found in a competition costume book and use
      colored
      > pencils to try and convey my vision of what the costume will look
      > like.

      I may be coming at this froma different angle to you as I find little
      difficulty in the sketching aspect. But that does come froma
      lifetime of sketching every spare moment I had;); during lectures on
      cellular and molecular biology, on the bus.. though that tended
      towards the sqiggly side of things;)

      But I also feel that you need to go the way that works for you.
      SOmepeople benefit from classes/school but some don't. It also
      depends on the classes;) I've had a mix of teachers for singing and
      other theatre arts and some worked, some didn't.

      And some things I've felt much better just trying to figure it out on
      my own.

      So get as many books on drawing the figure as you can. Even cartoon
      books as they will usually show the way to distort a "normal" figure
      to various proportions.

      Also look at a variety of designer's work as you may find some sketch
      in very frugal ways, using colour in blocks and swatches of fabric to
      convey the design.

      Oh it can also be fun to look at sketches by the Great Masters as an
      example of how the ideal figure has changes over the years, just to
      give an idea of how the lithe figures you will probably need to draw
      are only a temporary ideal.

      I'm pretty sure Worth couldn't draw the female figure, so he drew his
      designs over a prepared figure.

      michaela