Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Sketches

  • randy keator
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "showcostumes" <showcostumes@...>
      To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 8:14 AM
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Sketches

      > One of my "things I want to accomplish this year" is learning to
      > sketch my ideas before I put them together. Right now I just have an
      > idea in my head and my costumes come together as I sew. I want to be
      > able to convey my ideas to directors I am working with.
      >
      > I have very little drawing skill. I usually trace a figure from a
      > sillohutte (sp) I found in a competition costume book and use colored
      > pencils to try and convey my vision of what the costume will look
      > like. I have no formal education, as far as costume design goes and
      > I know there are classes to teach just this thing, however, not near
      > me or not available during the middle of the night when most of my
      > free time is!!!
      >
      > Can anyone suggest a good book or resource I can use to teach myself?
      >
      > Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!
      >
      > Hi there ! One of the best resources is your local library strange as that
      may sound and/or the local (nearest ) college preferably a state college
      bcuz most of the state schools allow the residents of the community to use
      the vast library and you can find all kinds of help with the art part of
      design( for your sketches) and loads of reference materials for period and
      theater designs as well as in many schools access to students who are more
      than happy to help you along the path you desire. Most of the local
      libraries now have DIY sections loaded with materials to help you teach
      yourself any number of subjects. Hope some of this helps. .Happy New Year
      !!!

      ---
      [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus Scanning]
    • neimhaille
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        > I have very little drawing skill. I usually trace a figure from a
        > sillohutte (sp) I found in a competition costume book and use
        colored
        > pencils to try and convey my vision of what the costume will look
        > like.

        I may be coming at this froma different angle to you as I find little
        difficulty in the sketching aspect. But that does come froma
        lifetime of sketching every spare moment I had;); during lectures on
        cellular and molecular biology, on the bus.. though that tended
        towards the sqiggly side of things;)

        But I also feel that you need to go the way that works for you.
        SOmepeople benefit from classes/school but some don't. It also
        depends on the classes;) I've had a mix of teachers for singing and
        other theatre arts and some worked, some didn't.

        And some things I've felt much better just trying to figure it out on
        my own.

        So get as many books on drawing the figure as you can. Even cartoon
        books as they will usually show the way to distort a "normal" figure
        to various proportions.

        Also look at a variety of designer's work as you may find some sketch
        in very frugal ways, using colour in blocks and swatches of fabric to
        convey the design.

        Oh it can also be fun to look at sketches by the Great Masters as an
        example of how the ideal figure has changes over the years, just to
        give an idea of how the lithe figures you will probably need to draw
        are only a temporary ideal.

        I'm pretty sure Worth couldn't draw the female figure, so he drew his
        designs over a prepared figure.

        michaela