Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Sketches

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
      I learned to draw by reading Jack Hamm's, "How to Draw the Head and Figure" thirty years ago...and it's still in print, that's how good this book is! He starts with simple geometric shapes in proportion and shows you, step by step, how to add details. This is a basic, basic book, and it won't intimidate you or assume you know things you don't know. (Other popular books, like "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," and "How to Draw What You See" are also good, but for my tastes, not for someone just starting out.

      There are some courses you can order to take at home or take online and some free stuff out there, too (see www.Fashion-era.com (for period fashion designs) and www.dangheno.net (drawing the body from life) as just a couple examples. I don't know how effective they would be for you, though; they're just sites I've run across.

      There's also a costume text called, "A Handbook of Costume Drawing" by Georgia O'Daniel Baker that is very specific to period costume rendering.

      Just remember, nobody is born knowing how to draw! My brother, who is a very successful architect in Boston, couldn't draw anything but a stick figure until he was 21 and studied rendering in college...and guess what? Now he's the "Go To" guy when his firm needs sketches or watercolors to "sell" a project!

      Good luck and have fun.

      Kate Murphy

      showcostumes <showcostumes@...> wrote:
      One of my "things I want to accomplish this year" is learning to
      sketch my ideas before I put them together. Right now I just have an
      idea in my head and my costumes come together as I sew. I want to be
      able to convey my ideas to directors I am working with.

      I have very little drawing skill. I usually trace a figure from a
      sillohutte (sp) I found in a competition costume book and use colored
      pencils to try and convey my vision of what the costume will look
      like. I have no formal education, as far as costume design goes and
      I know there are classes to teach just this thing, however, not near
      me or not available during the middle of the night when most of my
      free time is!!!

      Can anyone suggest a good book or resource I can use to teach myself?

      Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

    • randy keator
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        > One of my "things I want to accomplish this year" is learning to
        > sketch my ideas before I put them together. Right now I just have an
        > idea in my head and my costumes come together as I sew. I want to be
        > able to convey my ideas to directors I am working with.
        >
        > I have very little drawing skill. I usually trace a figure from a
        > sillohutte (sp) I found in a competition costume book and use colored
        > pencils to try and convey my vision of what the costume will look
        > like. I have no formal education, as far as costume design goes and
        > I know there are classes to teach just this thing, however, not near
        > me or not available during the middle of the night when most of my
        > free time is!!!
        >
        > Can anyone suggest a good book or resource I can use to teach myself?
        >
        > Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!
        >
        > Hi there ! One of the best resources is your local library strange as that
        may sound and/or the local (nearest ) college preferably a state college
        bcuz most of the state schools allow the residents of the community to use
        the vast library and you can find all kinds of help with the art part of
        design( for your sketches) and loads of reference materials for period and
        theater designs as well as in many schools access to students who are more
        than happy to help you along the path you desire. Most of the local
        libraries now have DIY sections loaded with materials to help you teach
        yourself any number of subjects. Hope some of this helps. .Happy New Year
        !!!

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus Scanning]
      • neimhaille
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
          > I have very little drawing skill. I usually trace a figure from a
          > sillohutte (sp) I found in a competition costume book and use
          colored
          > pencils to try and convey my vision of what the costume will look
          > like.

          I may be coming at this froma different angle to you as I find little
          difficulty in the sketching aspect. But that does come froma
          lifetime of sketching every spare moment I had;); during lectures on
          cellular and molecular biology, on the bus.. though that tended
          towards the sqiggly side of things;)

          But I also feel that you need to go the way that works for you.
          SOmepeople benefit from classes/school but some don't. It also
          depends on the classes;) I've had a mix of teachers for singing and
          other theatre arts and some worked, some didn't.

          And some things I've felt much better just trying to figure it out on
          my own.

          So get as many books on drawing the figure as you can. Even cartoon
          books as they will usually show the way to distort a "normal" figure
          to various proportions.

          Also look at a variety of designer's work as you may find some sketch
          in very frugal ways, using colour in blocks and swatches of fabric to
          convey the design.

          Oh it can also be fun to look at sketches by the Great Masters as an
          example of how the ideal figure has changes over the years, just to
          give an idea of how the lithe figures you will probably need to draw
          are only a temporary ideal.

          I'm pretty sure Worth couldn't draw the female figure, so he drew his
          designs over a prepared figure.

          michaela