  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2003
      > From: "clkbn" <CLKBN@...>
      > Subject: waterproof material
      >
      > I'm looking for a thin, waterproof material to use as a
      > liner in a
      > costmetic/ditty bag. Not vinyl. Any suggestions on what
      > to use or
      > where to buy it?

      Don't know where you would get it, but I would recommend
      Gore-Tex (it's the waterproof outer shell used for some
      up-scale winter clothing). You might also try ripstop
      nylon, as was suggested, and treating it with a
      water-proofing compound (I haven't seen it anywhere lately,
      but years ago, I know there were several varieties of
      spray-on fabric water-proofing treatments...had friends
      that would use the stuff on their jeans so they could wear
      them skiing without getting soaked to the bone). There are
      also some fabrics out there that have a plastic bonded to
      one side...once again, I've seen them, but don't know where
      to find them.

      > From: "jean hansen" <grisdgirl@...>
      > Subject: Joanns
      > In reference to costuming, I just want to ask if any of
      > you ever wear some
      > of the garb that you make. Don't you sometimes find that
      > some of these
      > things are really comfortable?

      I don't wear any of the garb I've made on a regular basis,
      but I do tend to wear modern items in a way that suggests
      some period styles (such as wearing a fleece vest over a
      fleece jacket...looks like I'm wearing a jerkin or
      doublet). I also have some boots that I've used for period
      costumes, which I occasionally wear for every-day
      activities (Had to get them re-soled after one such
      occasion...long story).

      It seems like I'm one of those people who just seems to
      look right in clothing from other periods...I rarely get
      complimented on my appearance when I'm wearing modern
      clothing--but put me in Renaissance, Restoration, or even
      Civil War garb and people have been quite open about
      complimenting my appearance. So my daily wardrobe, while
      made up of 'regular' items, has developed a period-slant to
      how it's worn...

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now