Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Hi, new here

  • Lee & Susan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
      Ancient Egypt is also a great love of mine (along with modern Egypt!) :)
      Anyway, I can recomment one good book for some information on Egyptian
      Amulets; it's called (interestingly enough) Amulets of Ancient Egypt by
      Carol Andrews, published by the University of Texas Press in 1994 (ISBN
      0-292-70464-X) It has some very good pictures, both colour and b&w, of
      amulets and jewellery. For upper class, gold was the metal, silver was
      actually very rare (TutAnkhAmun's tomb contained a total of 2! silver
      objects). The Egyptians did not use what we would consider precious stones;
      carnelian was used a lot, lapis lazuli and turquoise were not uncommon,
      amethyst and garnet were also used. These are the ones that spring
      immediately to mind. Also, a lot of items were made of faience, which is a
      man-made, glass paste. A lot of ancient Egyptians jewellery tends to look
      somewhat gaudy to modern eyes, since they used colour combinations we
      probably wouldn't; but I'm with you, I love the jewellery of Egypt. I'll
      dig through my collection, and see what other books I can find, I think
      there are some other books around specifically on jewellery.
      Hope this helped some,
      Susan

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
        Thanks for the tip, I have so many "scholarly" books on Egypt with few color
        photos. Personally I prefer stones like lapis and turquoise, and don't
        really care for diamonds and other "see through" stones. School starts next
        week, so jewelry making time for me will be scattered between study and
        work, but hopefully things will turn out. It's the closest I can get to
        Egypt until graduate studies. Thanks again for your suggestion, and I will
        look for the book. (figuring out how to make what I see is the biggest
        challenge)

        K.

      • Lee & Susan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
          I was paging through the book again, and I re-discovered that the last
          chapter is entitled "Materials and Their Symbolism," which seems to tie in
          with another part of your question. By the bye, are you studying Egyptology
          or Archaeology, and where? (Just my curiosity running rampant here). I was
          an Archaeology major at the University of Texas - Austin for about 1 year,
          until I discovered I really don't like the way a lot of American
          archaeologists think (but that is another story:) )
          Susan

          >Thanks for the tip, I have so many "scholarly" books on Egypt with few
          color
          >photos. Personally I prefer stones like lapis and turquoise, and don't
          >really care for diamonds and other "see through" stones. School starts next
          >week, so jewelry making time for me will be scattered between study and
          >work, but hopefully things will turn out. It's the closest I can get to
          >Egypt until graduate studies. Thanks again for your suggestion, and I will
          >look for the book. (figuring out how to make what I see is the biggest
          >challenge)
          >
          >K.
          >

          >>From: "Lee & Susan" <lecachot@...>
          >>To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
          >>Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Hi, new here
          >>Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:18:33 -0500
          >>
          >>Ancient Egypt is also a great love of mine (along with modern Egypt!) :)
          >>Anyway, I can recomment one good book for some information on Egyptian
          >>Amulets; it's called (interestingly enough) Amulets of Ancient Egypt by
          >>Carol Andrews, published by the University of Texas Press in 1994 (ISBN
          >>0-292-70464-X) It has some very good pictures, both colour and b&w, of
          >>amulets and jewellery. For upper class, gold was the metal, silver was
          >>actually very rare (TutAnkhAmun's tomb contained a total of 2! silver
          >>objects). The Egyptians did not use what we would consider precious
          >>stones;
          >>carnelian was used a lot, lapis lazuli and turquoise were not uncommon,
          >>amethyst and garnet were also used. These are the ones that spring
          >>immediately to mind. Also, a lot of items were made of faience, which is
          >>man-made, glass paste. A lot of ancient Egyptians jewellery tends to look
          >>somewhat gaudy to modern eyes, since they used colour combinations we
          >>probably wouldn't; but I'm with you, I love the jewellery of Egypt. I'll
          >>dig through my collection, and see what other books I can find, I think
          >>there are some other books around specifically on jewellery.
          >>Hope this helped some,
          >>Susan

        • Kaya K.
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2001
            I'm at U of Wisconsin-La Crosse. It's one of 12 schools in the nation
            offering an undergrad degreee in archaeology. I plan on Egyptology, but
            don't know what aspect to go for. Site preservation is a major concern for
            me, as you probably already know tourism damages many of the sites. Also of
            interest to me is biblical archaeology, (I have Hebrew language this year)
            and finding the facts on our past, and why things are the way they are now.
            Even scratching the surface is a start. (Sorry...I can go on forever about
            Egypt and the impact it has on our lives now) What is it you don't like
            about American archaeologists? Maybe we share the same feelings. Since
            it's off topic, you can e mail it direct if you like.

            Anyway, thanks for the info on the book. I plan to be Pharaoh for
            Halloween, it's the only time of the year to come as close to the past as
            possible without getting looks.

            Many thanks,
            K.

          • Raun Norby
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
              Hey! FYI if you need any help on the actual costuming stuff i'm in
              Madison. I hope that you have found the resourses you were looking for
              Raun

            • Kaya K.
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7, 2001
                Wow...Madison?

                Sorry for the delay in replying. I have massive amounts of reading for
                school. I don't have actual Egyptian type costume, I know they used linen
                on an everyday basis, and although it's historically correct, it is hard to
                locate here. If you know where it is available, I'm grateful. I don't mind
                traveling to Madison to get something, I used to get my dance constumes
                there.

                thanks neighbor!