Re: Tips? Traps? (Kimono answer)

  • Love3angle
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hello Elfeater!
      Others have responded to your make-up questions so I'll just tackle
      the kimono part. It all depends on how authentic you want to get.
      Kimono fabric is woven to the specific width oof the panels, and the
      designs are woven in specific locations to create the different looks
      for determining social standing, formality, season, marriage status,
      etc. It seems like a simple garment but it has one of the most
      regimented and complex codes of what to wear and when. Not to
      mention, at least 5-8 pieces of undergarments.

      If you just want to make something that will pass for a kimono, for a
      show or something, the Folkwear pattern isn't bad.

      Now, for the obi, there are 8 separate pieces to that also, and the
      main bow can be tied in hundreds of ways. The hard piece you're
      refering to is called "obi-jime" and is basically a plastic stiffener
      shaped like an oval that tucks in between the layers of the wrapped
      obi.

      The whole thing, in it's simplest form, goes something like this: 1-2
      piece slip, white under-collar strapped on, kimono wrapped left over
      right with elastic around your waist (this should be adusted so the
      bottom half of the kimono is smooth like a column and the top half
      bluses over it), smooth the top part over your waist band and add
      another wider piece of elastic to hold that in place, then wrap your
      main obi, tuck in your stiff piece in front, and tie the bow
      (involves the obi, a little pillow, a silk scarf-like pillow cover
      and a cord around the middle). Then there's tabi & zori for the
      feet, hair, make-up, etc... as you can tell it's a very elaborate
      process developed over thousands of years.

      When I'm costuming a Butterfly or something like that, I can usually
      get away with a basic kimono (I try to get real ones from Japan, not
      too expensive over the internet), a white slip and v-neck t-shirt,
      white socks & zori, and an obi which I pre tie the bow at the end
      then secure with hooks&eyes and the cord around the middle.
      The "drum" bow is easiest to replicate this way. Oh and I used matte
      board from and art store for stiffener last time - cut into an oval
      shape then worked with my hands into a curve. They looked great!

      Hope this helps!
      Alyxx

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "ElfEater" <elfchan@b...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      > I have been a "lurker" on this message list for some time now. I
      am
      > stuck on a costume though now, grr. I am wanting to make a Kimono,
      > but, the pattern sold in America isnt that great, and I really dont
      > want to use a full pattern. I went to a panel on how to make one,
      > but, I seem to have forgotten some things. They were talking about
      > some hard peice of fabric that goes right below the breast, and
      that
      > a Kimono looks funny without one. Does anyone know what this is?
      > And another thing, I am looking for a white makeup. Everything I
      > seem to find around here (louisville) is like clown makeup or a
      > really deep white. Im looking for more of apowder white, to give
      > that sort of pale look, not creamy paint look. And one last thing,
      > have to paint these blue vine type things all over the right side
      of
      > my body. Any suggestions? Do they make body paint pens? Or
      > something? ^_^ lol, sorry for all the questions.
      > Oh oh one last thing! I find alot of people make thier own wigs,
      or
      > add hair peices to wigs. I need to get a thing of long bangs and
      > hair extentions. Where in the world can you get those at?
      > Thanks for all the help in advance! ^^ Sorry for all the babble!
      > You can check out my costume site at "http://www.elfeater.com"
      under
      > the transcend button. ^^
      > Christina
      >

      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Rich <webmaster@f...> wrote:
      > > I have enough kimonos in stock to costume this show several times
      > > over (many were made for the D'Oyly Carte production of the
      Mikado