good fabric stores in Florida

  • jssilver1204
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
      I live and costume in Orlando Florida and I am looking for some
      really good stores where you can find an actual selection of fabric
      somewhere in Florida, obviously the closer to Orlando the better, but
      I am not choosy. I am looking for stores like this place in
      Walkertown, NC, I think it is called the Fabric Shop or something
      like that. It is essentially a huge house with tons of low priced
      fabrics in need of looking at.

      Let me know

      jennifer
    • surggj
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
        I have been to that store in Walkertown. I use to live in NC. I live in Florida and live near Boca. Have these people ever heard of a fabric store where you can get fabric to just sew with? I think not. I have to go all the way down close to Miami. Imagine........you get home and need just one spool of thread you forgot. Someone should tell these RICH people in Florida, that not all people have the money to shop at Saks and Bloomingdales........I am a costume design student and designer and if I want something , both my prof. and I have to travel far away........Someone should bring a shop like Jo Anns or something down this way , also........I was hoping that the closer you get to the REAL world and almost out of Florida they would have a shop like you are talking about.........Not a chance huh?

        jssilver1204 <jssilver1204@...> wrote:I live and costume in Orlando Florida and I am looking for some
        really good stores where you can find an actual selection of fabric
        somewhere in Florida, obviously the closer to Orlando the better, but
        I am not choosy. I am looking for stores like this place in
        Walkertown, NC, I think it is called the Fabric Shop or something
        like that. It is essentially a huge house with tons of low priced
        fabrics in need of looking at.

        Let me know

        jennifer

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        It is a heart inside which speaks volumes in an outside, silent shell........Glenda Sabo 2001

      • Rici Tegarden
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
          I live in WV and we don't have many good inexpensive places to buy fabric. I have been very happy with some purchases I have made on Ebay. There is a seller called fabricguru who sells yardages for very reasonable prices. I have gotten ultrasuede from him for less than 10.00 a yard. Italian chenille, and damasks for as little as $4.00 a yard. Some are the buy it now type sales and some you have to bid for. The draw backs are you don't get to "pet" the fabrics and you have to pay postage. It might be worth your time to check him out. I don't have any affiliation with them just a happy customer.
          Rici Tegarden in WV
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Dianne & Greg Stucki
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
            > I live in WV and we don't have many good inexpensive places to buy fabric.
            I have been very happy with some purchases I have made on Ebay. There is a
            seller called fabricguru who sells yardages for very reasonable prices. I
            have gotten ultrasuede from him for less than 10.00 a yard. Italian
            chenille, and damasks for as little as $4.00 a yard. Some are the buy it
            now type sales and some you have to bid for. The draw backs are you don't
            get to "pet" the fabrics and you have to pay postage. It might be worth
            your time to check him out. I don't have any affiliation with them just a
            happy customer.
            > Rici Tegarden in WV

            I have purchased from fabricguru a couple of times as well, and been quite
            pleased.

            I also just bought 5 yards of forent green gabardine wool from en5001 on
            eBay, and I'm very, very happy with it. It's lovely, lightweight, very soft,
            he shipped very quickly, and I paid only $36.00, including UPS shipping, for
            the whole 5 yards!

            Dianne
          • jssilver1204
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
              Perhaps I should clarify.

              As I live in Orlando, I have been to every store in the area, or in
              the phone book or any that you might find in search for the Orlando
              area. For example, Fabric fantasies, as was mentioned in another
              post, is actually a home dec store mainly.

              Like I said I am looking for something that is off the beaten path.
              I have been and worked at Joann's, and Hancocks and even some of the
              lesser known stores in the areea. Just wonering what else is out
              there, or if I need to drive to North Carolina for any selection.

              Thanks,

              Jennifer

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jssilver1204"
              <jssilver1204@y...> wrote:
              > I live and costume in Orlando Florida and I am looking for some
              > really good stores where you can find an actual selection of fabric
              > somewhere in Florida, obviously the closer to Orlando the better,
              but
              > I am not choosy. I am looking for stores like this place in
              > Walkertown, NC, I think it is called the Fabric Shop or something
              > like that. It is essentially a huge house with tons of low priced
              > fabrics in need of looking at.
              >
              > Let me know
              >
              > jennifer
            • Sylvia
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
                I want some of that ultrasuede! How do you find fabricguru? I don't know
                much about doing business on ebay.

                Sylrog

[...]

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Go to eBay, click on search, then search by seller. His user id is
                  fabricguru.

                  Here is a link to his listings.

                  http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=fabricguru&sort=3&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

                  Dianne
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
                    Jennifer,

                    The person who had used the verizon yellow pages inspired me to try and
                    find the store I had visited when there. Here is what I came up with:

                    The Sewing Studio
                    9605 S. Hwy 17-92
                    Maitland, Fl

                    I think that is the one I visited. It had an excellent selection and a
                    back room full of remnants and sale fabrics. Here is how they
                    described themselves on the site i found: Orlando's most complete
                    fabric store,incl: Fashion Fabrics,Silks,Lycras Quilting,Smocking/
                    Heirloom,Quilting,Bridal Laces & Trims

                    Hope that is more helpful and that it does the trick for you.

                    Jackie Keizer
                  • Sylvia
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
                      I noticed that the fabricguru's ultrasuede is upholstery weight. Was that
                      the kind you bought?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2003
                        > I noticed that the fabricguru's ultrasuede is upholstery weight. Was that
                        > the kind you bought?

                        I didn't buy ultrasuede from him, but a couple of beautiful fabrics, both a
                        medium drapery weight.

                        Dianne
                      • Rici Tegarden
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2003
                          Yes it was, I made a purse from it and it has been doing fine. The wonderful thing about it is that I have been able to wash it. Also since it is not really leather my kitties have actually left it alone. I also have made one glove from it. Actually I was practicing because I want to use real leather for that. It worked fine. I mostly wanted to work on the fit as I have wide hands with short fingers. Ready made gloves don't ever fit me. I would probably work well to make bodices that didn't have to be lined as it is a little heavier weight than regular ultrasuede.
                          Rici in WV
                          I noticed that the fabricguru's ultrasuede is upholstery weight. Was that
                          the kind you bought?

                          > I want some of that ultrasuede! How do you find fabricguru? I don't know
                          > much about doing business on ebay.
                          >
                          > Sylrog

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Curt and/or Michelle Josefick
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 6, 2003
                            I see that someone is looking for ultrasuede....I have a lot of it here, some large yardage.....let me know if you're interested.

                            Michelle