Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tips? Traps?

  • Alan Yeong
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2001
      You can never go wrong with this show. Be brave and use that creative juice.... You have the advantage since you know the japanese costume history.... good luck...
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2001
        Hello!
        I have been a "lurker" on this message list for some time now. I am
        stuck on a costume though now, grr. I am wanting to make a Kimono,
        but, the pattern sold in America isnt that great, and I really dont
        want to use a full pattern. I went to a panel on how to make one,
        but, I seem to have forgotten some things. They were talking about
        some hard peice of fabric that goes right below the breast, and that
        a Kimono looks funny without one. Does anyone know what this is?
        And another thing, I am looking for a white makeup. Everything I
        seem to find around here (louisville) is like clown makeup or a
        really deep white. Im looking for more of apowder white, to give
        that sort of pale look, not creamy paint look. And one last thing, I
        have to paint these blue vine type things all over the right side of
        my body. Any suggestions? Do they make body paint pens? Or
        something? ^_^ lol, sorry for all the questions.
        Oh oh one last thing! I find alot of people make thier own wigs, or
        add hair peices to wigs. I need to get a thing of long bangs and
        hair extentions. Where in the world can you get those at?
        Thanks for all the help in advance! ^^ Sorry for all the babble!
        You can check out my costume site at "http://www.elfeater.com" under
        the transcend button. ^^
        Christina

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Rich <webmaster@f...> wrote:
        > I have enough kimonos in stock to costume this show several times
        > over (many were made for the D'Oyly Carte production of the Mikado
        at
        > the international G&S festival). We also have a huge stock of both
        > male and female wigs for this show. Also if you need to purchase
        > make-up or need tips, I have this too.
        >

        > If you need help, we still have time to help you.
        >
        > contact me directly (or better yet, call Eddie at 215-925-7121...
        so
        > as not to bog down this list
        >
        > Rich
        >
        > >I just got hired to rescue a drowning production of the Mikado. I
        > >have done several productions of Madama Butterfly, so I am far more
        > >familiar with Japanese dress than I should be, but this isn't
        > >exactly... well... traditional.
        > >
        > >Anyone here ever done this show? Any special advice, props,
        > >business, etc you'd like to pass on? The show goes up in 3 weeks
        and
        > >I could use all the help I can get!
        > >
        > >Alyxx
        > >Love Triangle
        > >

        > --
        >

        > Pierre's Costumes -Since 1943
        > (formerly Miller Costume - Since 1876)
        >
        > 211 N. 3rd. Street
        > Philadelphia, PA 19106
        > 3 stores north of Race street... just next to the Ben Franklin
        Bridge.
        > We are in Philadelphia's Historic Olde City District.
        > 215-925-7121 Phone
        > 215-925-9616 Fax
        >
        > http://www.costumers.com
        > http://www.mascotcostume.com
        > http://www.costumemascot.com
        > http://www.4costume.com
        > http://www.forcostume.com
        > http://www.pierrescostumes.com
        > All great sites for costumes, make-up, & mascots.
        >
        > Open Mon-Fri 10-5:30. Sat. 10-4:00.
        > Check our web site for directions
        >

        > *********************************
      • theresa b
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30, 2001
          <We did that show, but the director's vision was that of the 1920's
          cambridge gilbert and Sullivan society putting on the Mikado. So it had a
          Western 1920's japanese feel. Very cool, but probably not what you were
          looking for.

          titi

        • Nathan Martin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
            Christina,

            I can't help with the Kimono question, but I've got
            the make-up question under control...

            Call Alcone NYC at 1-800-466-7446. They've got the
            solution for just about any make-up need. Selection
            and customer service is amazing. Just tell them what
            you need and they can usually direct you to the right
            products.

            (A director once forced us to "paint" little white
            children to look like islanders for a production of
            South Pacific...Frantic, I called Alcone, and they
            were able to figure out exactly what we'd need to do
            it!)

            They may also be able to help with the hair that you
            need as they have a large selection of wig making
            supplies and wigs.

            Best Wishes!

            Nate

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Rich
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
              > Hello!
              > I have been a "lurker" on this message list for some time now. I am
              >stuck on a costume though now, grr. I am wanting to make a Kimono,
              >but, the pattern sold in America isnt that great, and I really dont
              >want to use a full pattern. I went to a panel on how to make one,
              >but, I seem to have forgotten some things. They were talking about
              >some hard peice of fabric that goes right below the breast, and that
              >a Kimono looks funny without one. Does anyone know what this is?
              >And another thing, I am looking for a white makeup. Everything I
              >seem to find around here (louisville) is like clown makeup or a
              >really deep white.

              When I do make-up for geisha... i use Ben Nye proscinium cream white.
              (now if you want another color there are several other shades, but my
              research tells me that white is what is right. I use a cream red
              rouge to do the red box across the eyes. You must first block the
              eyebrows using a product like scar wax or an eyebrow wax. then
              powder it, then apply the cream foundation. this allows you to draw
              the eyebrows higher up and more accentuated. The lips are important,
              they must be "kewpie" doll shaped (close to the center, very full,
              with the "V" in the middle)

              Another alternative is to use a pancake or even Kryolan Aquacolor.

              Whe it comes to vines (tatoos?) you can use Aquacolor or use an
              alcohol base ink system like Reel creations or Temptu's tatoo systems.

              I stock great geisha wigs for $80-150 (we have cheaper ones in the
              $40 range too) geisha wigs are probably the most expensive wigs
              made! We can offer even higher end wigs including custom made ones
              (start at $1500)

              hope this helps

              rich

              --
              Pierre's Costumes -Since 1943
              (formerly Miller Costume - Since 1876)

              211 N. 3rd. Street
              Philadelphia, PA 19106
              3 stores north of Race street... just next to the Ben Franklin Bridge.
              We are in Philadelphia's Historic Olde City District.
              215-925-7121 Phone
              215-925-9616 Fax

              http://www.costumers.com
              http://www.mascotcostume.com
              http://www.costumemascot.com
              http://www.4costume.com
              http://www.forcostume.com
              http://www.pierrescostumes.com
              All great sites for costumes, make-up, & mascots.

              Open Mon-Fri 10-5:30. Sat. 10-4:00.
              Check our web site for directions

              *********************************
            • Love3angle
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
                Hello Elfeater!
                Others have responded to your make-up questions so I'll just tackle
                the kimono part. It all depends on how authentic you want to get.
                Kimono fabric is woven to the specific width oof the panels, and the
                designs are woven in specific locations to create the different looks
                for determining social standing, formality, season, marriage status,
                etc. It seems like a simple garment but it has one of the most
                regimented and complex codes of what to wear and when. Not to
                mention, at least 5-8 pieces of undergarments.

                If you just want to make something that will pass for a kimono, for a
                show or something, the Folkwear pattern isn't bad.

                Now, for the obi, there are 8 separate pieces to that also, and the
                main bow can be tied in hundreds of ways. The hard piece you're
                refering to is called "obi-jime" and is basically a plastic stiffener
                shaped like an oval that tucks in between the layers of the wrapped
                obi.

                The whole thing, in it's simplest form, goes something like this: 1-2
                piece slip, white under-collar strapped on, kimono wrapped left over
                right with elastic around your waist (this should be adusted so the
                bottom half of the kimono is smooth like a column and the top half
                bluses over it), smooth the top part over your waist band and add
                another wider piece of elastic to hold that in place, then wrap your
                main obi, tuck in your stiff piece in front, and tie the bow
                (involves the obi, a little pillow, a silk scarf-like pillow cover
                and a cord around the middle). Then there's tabi & zori for the
                feet, hair, make-up, etc... as you can tell it's a very elaborate
                process developed over thousands of years.

                When I'm costuming a Butterfly or something like that, I can usually
                get away with a basic kimono (I try to get real ones from Japan, not
                too expensive over the internet), a white slip and v-neck t-shirt,
                white socks & zori, and an obi which I pre tie the bow at the end
                then secure with hooks&eyes and the cord around the middle.
                The "drum" bow is easiest to replicate this way. Oh and I used matte
                board from and art store for stiffener last time - cut into an oval
                shape then worked with my hands into a curve. They looked great!

                Hope this helps!
                Alyxx