Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tips? Traps?

  • Mark Wood
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2001
      From: "Love3angle" <aiannetta@...>
      To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 9:42 AM
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tips? Traps?

      > I just got hired to rescue a drowning production of the Mikado. I
      > have done several productions of Madama Butterfly, so I am far more
      > familiar with Japanese dress than I should be, but this isn't
      > exactly... well... traditional.
      >
      > Anyone here ever done this show? Any special advice, props,
      > business, etc you'd like to pass on? The show goes up in 3 weeks and
      > I could use all the help I can get!
      >
      > Alyxx
      > Love Triangle

    • Alan Yeong

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30, 2001
          Hello!
          I have been a "lurker" on this message list for some time now. I am
          stuck on a costume though now, grr. I am wanting to make a Kimono,
          but, the pattern sold in America isnt that great, and I really dont
          want to use a full pattern. I went to a panel on how to make one,
          but, I seem to have forgotten some things. They were talking about
          some hard peice of fabric that goes right below the breast, and that
          a Kimono looks funny without one. Does anyone know what this is?
          And another thing, I am looking for a white makeup. Everything I
          seem to find around here (louisville) is like clown makeup or a
          really deep white. Im looking for more of apowder white, to give
          that sort of pale look, not creamy paint look. And one last thing, I
          have to paint these blue vine type things all over the right side of
          my body. Any suggestions? Do they make body paint pens? Or
          something? ^_^ lol, sorry for all the questions.
          Oh oh one last thing! I find alot of people make thier own wigs, or
          add hair peices to wigs. I need to get a thing of long bangs and
          hair extentions. Where in the world can you get those at?
          Thanks for all the help in advance! ^^ Sorry for all the babble!
          You can check out my costume site at "http://www.elfeater.com" under
          the transcend button. ^^
          Christina

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Rich <webmaster@f...> wrote:
          > I have enough kimonos in stock to costume this show several times
          > over (many were made for the D'Oyly Carte production of the Mikado
          at
          > the international G&S festival). We also have a huge stock of both
          > male and female wigs for this show. Also if you need to purchase
          > make-up or need tips, I have this too.
          >

          > If you need help, we still have time to help you.
          >
          > contact me directly (or better yet, call Eddie at 215-925-7121...
          so
          > as not to bog down this list
          >
          > Rich
          >
          > >I just got hired to rescue a drowning production of the Mikado. I
          > >have done several productions of Madama Butterfly, so I am far more
          > >familiar with Japanese dress than I should be, but this isn't
          > >exactly... well... traditional.
          > >
          > >Anyone here ever done this show? Any special advice, props,
          > >business, etc you'd like to pass on? The show goes up in 3 weeks
          and
          > >I could use all the help I can get!
          > >
          > >Alyxx
          > >Love Triangle
          > >

          > --
          >

          > Pierre's Costumes -Since 1943
          > (formerly Miller Costume - Since 1876)
          >
          > 211 N. 3rd. Street
          > Philadelphia, PA 19106
          > 3 stores north of Race street... just next to the Ben Franklin
          Bridge.
          > We are in Philadelphia's Historic Olde City District.
          > 215-925-7121 Phone
          > 215-925-9616 Fax
          >
          > http://www.costumers.com
          > http://www.mascotcostume.com
          > http://www.costumemascot.com
          > http://www.4costume.com
          > http://www.forcostume.com
          > http://www.pierrescostumes.com
          > All great sites for costumes, make-up, & mascots.
          >
          > Open Mon-Fri 10-5:30. Sat. 10-4:00.
          > Check our web site for directions
          >

          > *********************************
        • theresa b
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 30, 2001
            <We did that show, but the director's vision was that of the 1920's
            cambridge gilbert and Sullivan society putting on the Mikado. So it had a
            Western 1920's japanese feel. Very cool, but probably not what you were
            looking for.

            titi

          • Nathan Martin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
              Christina,

              I can't help with the Kimono question, but I've got
              the make-up question under control...

              Call Alcone NYC at 1-800-466-7446. They've got the
              solution for just about any make-up need. Selection
              and customer service is amazing. Just tell them what
              you need and they can usually direct you to the right
              products.

              (A director once forced us to "paint" little white
              children to look like islanders for a production of
              South Pacific...Frantic, I called Alcone, and they
              were able to figure out exactly what we'd need to do
              it!)

              They may also be able to help with the hair that you
              need as they have a large selection of wig making
              supplies and wigs.

              Best Wishes!

              Nate

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
            • Rich
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
                > Hello!
                > I have been a "lurker" on this message list for some time now. I am
                >stuck on a costume though now, grr. I am wanting to make a Kimono,
                >but, the pattern sold in America isnt that great, and I really dont
                >want to use a full pattern. I went to a panel on how to make one,
                >but, I seem to have forgotten some things. They were talking about
                >some hard peice of fabric that goes right below the breast, and that
                >a Kimono looks funny without one. Does anyone know what this is?
                >And another thing, I am looking for a white makeup. Everything I
                >seem to find around here (louisville) is like clown makeup or a
                >really deep white.

                When I do make-up for geisha... i use Ben Nye proscinium cream white.
                (now if you want another color there are several other shades, but my
                research tells me that white is what is right. I use a cream red
                rouge to do the red box across the eyes. You must first block the
                eyebrows using a product like scar wax or an eyebrow wax. then
                powder it, then apply the cream foundation. this allows you to draw
                the eyebrows higher up and more accentuated. The lips are important,
                they must be "kewpie" doll shaped (close to the center, very full,
                with the "V" in the middle)

                Another alternative is to use a pancake or even Kryolan Aquacolor.

                Whe it comes to vines (tatoos?) you can use Aquacolor or use an
                alcohol base ink system like Reel creations or Temptu's tatoo systems.

                I stock great geisha wigs for $80-150 (we have cheaper ones in the
                $40 range too) geisha wigs are probably the most expensive wigs
                made! We can offer even higher end wigs including custom made ones
                (start at $1500)

                hope this helps

                rich

                --
                Pierre's Costumes -Since 1943
                (formerly Miller Costume - Since 1876)

                211 N. 3rd. Street
                Philadelphia, PA 19106
                3 stores north of Race street... just next to the Ben Franklin Bridge.
                We are in Philadelphia's Historic Olde City District.
                215-925-7121 Phone
                215-925-9616 Fax

                http://www.costumers.com
                http://www.mascotcostume.com
                http://www.costumemascot.com
                http://www.4costume.com
                http://www.forcostume.com
                http://www.pierrescostumes.com
                All great sites for costumes, make-up, & mascots.

                Open Mon-Fri 10-5:30. Sat. 10-4:00.
                Check our web site for directions

                *********************************
              • Love3angle
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
                  Hello Elfeater!
                  Others have responded to your make-up questions so I'll just tackle
                  the kimono part. It all depends on how authentic you want to get.
                  Kimono fabric is woven to the specific width oof the panels, and the
                  designs are woven in specific locations to create the different looks
                  for determining social standing, formality, season, marriage status,
                  etc. It seems like a simple garment but it has one of the most
                  regimented and complex codes of what to wear and when. Not to
                  mention, at least 5-8 pieces of undergarments.

                  If you just want to make something that will pass for a kimono, for a
                  show or something, the Folkwear pattern isn't bad.

                  Now, for the obi, there are 8 separate pieces to that also, and the
                  main bow can be tied in hundreds of ways. The hard piece you're
                  refering to is called "obi-jime" and is basically a plastic stiffener
                  shaped like an oval that tucks in between the layers of the wrapped
                  obi.

                  The whole thing, in it's simplest form, goes something like this: 1-2
                  piece slip, white under-collar strapped on, kimono wrapped left over
                  right with elastic around your waist (this should be adusted so the
                  bottom half of the kimono is smooth like a column and the top half
                  bluses over it), smooth the top part over your waist band and add
                  another wider piece of elastic to hold that in place, then wrap your
                  main obi, tuck in your stiff piece in front, and tie the bow
                  (involves the obi, a little pillow, a silk scarf-like pillow cover
                  and a cord around the middle). Then there's tabi & zori for the
                  feet, hair, make-up, etc... as you can tell it's a very elaborate
                  process developed over thousands of years.

                  When I'm costuming a Butterfly or something like that, I can usually
                  get away with a basic kimono (I try to get real ones from Japan, not
                  too expensive over the internet), a white slip and v-neck t-shirt,
                  white socks & zori, and an obi which I pre tie the bow at the end
                  then secure with hooks&eyes and the cord around the middle.
                  The "drum" bow is easiest to replicate this way. Oh and I used matte
                  board from and art store for stiffener last time - cut into an oval
                  shape then worked with my hands into a curve. They looked great!

                  Hope this helps!
                  Alyxx