Pagan robes and more

  • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2001
      > Greetings! My name is Rowenna, and I found this list
      > through the Costumer's Manifesto website.
      > Congratulations to whomever it was redid the site; it
      > is fabulous!

      Thanks! It is still all me (Tara Maginnis) I've just been neatening it up over
      the summer.

      > Anyways, a quick intro before I hit the pillows...I am
      > a 30yo homeschooling witch mama housewife with two
      > small children. I have always had a passion for
      > sewing and since I settled down with my family have
      > begun constructing costumes and clothes and such with
      > a machine (before I did work by hand). Recently I
      > have begun my own fledgeling inhome business called
      > Vanilla Faery Designs doing custom ritual robes (for
      > my local pagan community in Denver CO),

      Do you have a web site? I could add you to the Pagan Wiccan links list on the
      Religious Clothing Page
      http://www.costumes.org/pages/religious_costume.htm#Pagan/Wiccan page. Pagan
      clothing links are a bit hard to find.

      > Hello to the list
      > Just joined the morning, after find the Costumers Manifesto site!
      > I've been paging through the archives and read the threads about
      > civil war reenacting. Someone made mention of the strictness of some
      > re-enactors, well, I'm a Civil War re-enactor of the more liberal
      > variety <grin>. There's a publication called "Camp Chase Gazette"
      > that lists Civil War reenactments opened to the public in the United
      > States. Unfortunately, they do not list the events on their
      > webpage. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to lookup an
      > upcoming event in your state.
      > I also do German folkdancing. Think Chevy Chase European Vacation or
      > Busch Gardens German section.
      > I'd like to combine these 2 hobbies. I'm trying to find information
      > on German immigrant fashions during the Victorian area, and thought I
      > might get some suggestions here. And learn some new tips on costumes.

      I know of one online source on that
      http://www.serve.com/shea/germusa/trachten.htm but I've had a German reenactor
      tell me it has lots of details horribly oversimplified. At
      http://www.costumes.org/pages/ethnolnk.htm#Western Europe I have a bunch of
      German traditional dress links too that might help.
      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
      Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2001
        Well, Tara, I don't have my website up yet, but I do
        happen to be getting a website in exchange for one of
        my robes, so I will be sure to let you know when it is
        up and running!

        Pagan clothes are hard to find. In fact, what got my
        business off the ground was a happenstance occurance
        at a pagan camping festival a few weeks ago. I
        complimented a woman on her robe and said I would like
        to copy it, since I had been looking for years for a
        ritual robe friendly to nursing mothers. The woman is
        an owner of a local metaphysical store, and
        commissioned six nursing ritual robes from me on the
        spot. She said she had never thought about nursing
        moms not having nursing friendly ritual robes, so I am
        looking forward to the response from the community. I
        am going to check out that link you provided; I have
        not seen it on the site before (but there is just so
        much good stuff there I never get very far!)

        Wassail!
        Rowenna

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/