Concerning stiffening hat

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2003
      Aloha From Kauai, Hawaii: I haven't posted anything in a LONG time. I've
      been busy working on costuming THE MUSIC MAN. I purchased a straw boater
      hat for the barbershop quartet on ebay. When it arrived, the packaging by
      the seller was really bad and the hat came with the straw brim broken away
      from the head part of the hat. I used MODGEPODGE, which comes in a big
      mouthed bottle and the stuff looks like good ol' Elmers Glue. I gooped it
      on pretty thick with a small paintbrush and held the straw edges together
      (they look like little V's when they seperate). It takes about 10 minutes
      to stiffen up, longer to dry. MODGE PODGE dryed clear, a bit shiny, which
      works for a straw style hat. I think this would stiffen up a felt hat
      really nicely, but there might be a bit of a shine. I've also used STIFF
      STUFF, which comes in a pump-spray application. It stiffened up fabric
      nicely to make stiff collars, but it changes the color slightly darker.
      By-the-way, the ebay seller refunded all but $5 of my $20 purchase price,
      and because of my time and attention, I'm using the hat anyways! Good luck.
      Poppy

      Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.