Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] need more help

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
      Jo,

      How large is the brim? What kind of shape do you have in mind? What style of costume is it -- does it have to be extremely realistic? Are you building it yourself?

      If it's a smaller brim on an extant hat that you just want to hold its shape, try zig-zag stitching a millinery wire around the outer edge of the brim, and/or radiating wires from the crown to the edge of the brim. Millinery wire comes in different weights and both black and white; you can disguise it with trim or color the white wire with dye or marker.

      For huge brims at somewhat of a distance from your audience (and always when working in a somewhat less realistic style) try sandwiching a 1/2" piece of upholstery foam between layers of felt (or other fabric).

      No matter what you use to stiffen the brim, make sure the join of the crown to the brim is strong enough to handle the redistributed weight. Usually a headsize band of grossgrain ribbon is sufficient.

      Kate

      Jo Sieber <josieber@...> wrote:

      Hi
      Does anyone have any good ideas for stiffening a large brim felt ( not wool felt)hat?

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
        In the absence of Hat Lacquer (now almost banned from anything but commercial use), any commercial wood lacquer will work. Use a good coarse brush, and make sure that you have removed almost all of the moisture from the brush. Apply the lacquer in swift, long strokes to the underside of the brim. If you see the lacquer pooling on the felt, then your brush is still too wet. Best of luck.

        > From: "Rebecca" <beckyswebdesign@...>
        > Date: 2003/11/02 Sun PM 07:49:20 EST
        > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: need more help

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, <djuby@s...> wrote:
          > In the absence of Hat Lacquer (now almost banned from anything but
          commercial use), any commercial wood lacquer will work.

          Go to a leather shop tandy is still around or leather factory. They
          sell leather laquer. I flexes.
          HideTanner
        • bearhedded
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
            I know a few people who use white shellac, which cuts with
            denatured alcohol, but what I prefer is yellow carpenters' glue.
            It's water soluble and non-toxic. You can experiment with how
            firm you want your felt....1/2 &1/2 gives a pretty stiff hand.

            I usually block the approximate shape I want first, then size, dry
            overnight, steam and final blocking the next day.

            Suspend the body from the edge of the brim, or by a point inside
            the crown as it dries to avoid shiny spots.

            BH