Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Seeking info on nun's habits

  • Ana's Accoutremonts
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
      There are (of course!) some very good links on costumes.org
      http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/religious_costume.htm

      Here is one I found
      http://www.clintonfranciscans.com/20_NUNS-edited.jpg

      The trick is to search for "ecclesiastical costume" or "clerical
      costume" rather than specifics.

      --
      Ana Foscari
      Ana's Accoutremonts

      "Anger never ceases with anger,
      Anger is healed by love alone.
      Open your heart to love.
      Pray for Peace."

    • Spidra Webster
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003

        >It's not comprehensive, but Gothic Garments makes habits for a number
        >of different sects (not the right word, but I'm drawing a blank right
        >now) of nuns and monks.

        Whoops! It would help if I'd pasted in the URL: http://www.gothicgarments.net/

        Also, this page has a bunch of dolls with habits from even more
        different orders:
        http://www.blessings-catalog.com/

        Spidra Webster

        Visit Spidra's Vortex!
        http://www.spidra.com
        Home of Yodel Central, Bay Area Bike Links, Jokes Scandinavians Tell
        About Each Other, Multilingual Mac Links, and so much more!
      • Deb
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
          I think the word/words you are looking for is "religious orders" or just "orders".
          ~Deb~

          Spidra Webster <spidra@...> wrote:

          >It's not comprehensive, but Gothic Garments makes habits for a number
          >of different sects (not the right word, but I'm drawing a blank right
          >now) of nuns and monks.

          Whoops! It would help if I'd pasted in the URL: http://www.gothicgarments.net/

          Also, this page has a bunch of dolls with habits from even more
          different orders:
          http://www.blessings-catalog.com/

          Spidra Webster

          Visit Spidra's Vortex!
          http://www.spidra.com
          Home of Yodel Central, Bay Area Bike Links, Jokes Scandinavians Tell
          About Each Other, Multilingual Mac Links, and so much more!

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Always Dream Of The One You Love The Most. They Need It As Much As You Do!!!

        • Kay
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
            Hi,
            Nun's original habits were costumes of the widows of whatever
            immediate area they were located in. They were supposed to BLEND,
            that was a very important aspect of the vows. Black- or something
            close- for sisters (widows) and white for the novices (virgins).
            That is also why the different orders have different habits. This
            pratice was started from the beginning of "offical" orders being
            recognized, early medieval period. The reason that the habits did not
            change with the "times" began as a question of modesty and humility,
            and as far as I have read remained so as a matter of tradition, so
            much for blending. Now with many of the orders going back to the
            original intent you see more nuns in shorter skirts, less or no
            headwear, etc.
            So if you can find what the name of the order is and search for
            where it was founded you should be able to have a really good
            authentic design from any costuming guide for that medieval time
            period. At least for the foundations for the costumes.
            Hope this helps with your search for an appropriate website.
            Kay
            btw the nuns I grew up seeing began wearing polyester in lieu of the
            original wool for summer around 1966. The full coif/cowl (I can't
            remember what it is called but it's basically the tightly fitted
            cowl) began as linen and then changed to cotton.