garment districts

  • charlie66048
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20 6:08 PM
      Good Cousins,

      I am under the firm belief that New York and LA could not possibly
      be the only two sites in the entire country for garment districts.

      I live in Leavenworth, KS and am firmly convinced that given the
      history of this state, there has got to a wherehouse district that
      sells fabric by the bolt fairly inexpensively.

      Does anyone know where it is?

      Or at least some place that it does not take a plane ticket to reach.

      Ciarniat
    • Sheila Martinez
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21 1:55 AM
        Hi charlie,
        I live in San Antonio, Texas (austin) and the closest place that I can find to buy wholesale is either Houston or Dallas or NYC. The best that you can do is find your favorite fabric manufacturer, then research their outlets. I have found that a lot of my favorite manufacturers...Pago, for one, has a rep in good ole SA, but they always re-direct me to either Houston or NYC to purchase my fabrics!!! Even though we have several Hancock's here.
        and they sell Pago fabrics. It all has to do with how much you want, and how much you are willing to pay.
        sheila
        charlie66048 <cstilwell@...> wrote:
        Good Cousins,

        I am under the firm belief that New York and LA could not possibly
        be the only two sites in the entire country for garment districts.

        I live in Leavenworth, KS and am firmly convinced that given the
        history of this state, there has got to a wherehouse district that
        sells fabric by the bolt fairly inexpensively.

        Does anyone know where it is?

        Or at least some place that it does not take a plane ticket to reach.

        Ciarniat

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Ana's Accoutremonts
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21 3:51 AM
          The universal reference (before the advent of the web) was the Thomas
          Catalog of Wholesalers, a multivolume "yellow pages" for wholesalers and
          manufacturers in the U.S. Your main public library or Chamber of
          Commerce should have a copy. Then all it takes is time to find local
          fabric mills, wholesalers, etc. Yes, it has several indices (indexes).
          In the library world, we called it the "Tom Cat"!

          Ana

          --
          Ana Foscari
          Ana's Accoutremonts

          "Anger never ceases with anger,
          Anger is healed by love alone.
          Open your heart to love.
          Pray for Peace."

        • Diana Rodriguez Whitton
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21 7:18 AM
            Hello-
            Chicago and I belive Kansas City have pretty good garment districts....Not so sure about Kansas City but I know Chicago for sure.

            Diana

          • Diana Rodriguez Whitton
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 21 7:20 AM
              Oh.. P.S. I know there is a great place to get fabrics in Minniapolis... (i don't think I spelled that right but I think you get the idea) it is called S R Harris.... it is 27 thousand square feet of FABRICS!.. there are sevral good places there to get fabric.

              Diana

            • Nightwing Whitehead
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 21 10:45 AM
                And, if in the Philadelphia area, check out their district:
                http://www.fabricrow.com/
                I recently moved to Connecticut and will now drive *through* Manhattan
                to get to it!

                =====
                Nightwing Whitehead Fashion Designer www.nightwingwhitehead.com by appointment 860-402-0847

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 21 2:11 PM
                  I've been to S R Harris. You can find just about
                  anything you can imagine.

                  Theresa

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • FergusMackessock@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22 3:48 AM
                    In a message dated 10/22/2003 1:37:59 AM Central Standard Time,
                    nightwingwhitehead@... writes:
                    And, if in the Philadelphia area, check out their district:
                    http://www.fabricrow.com/
                    I recently moved to Connecticut and will now drive *through* Manhattan
                    to get to it!
                    Thanks for the info and the link. It will definitely come in
                    handy...................

                    Fergus MacKessock
                    Wandering Highlander
                    #1 Pirate in Kit's Pucker Pirates
                    Drunken Gnome #: 29
                    Gnome Gname: Gneomorphic (Gneo) Gnome
                    LNC/CPL in the Scottish Fencibles
                    Hawser Monkey serving aboard The Dark Scorpion
                    Booser
                    Private Goober
                    Guardian of The Realm Beneath The Table
                    Guide of The Way Through The Fog
                    "Onward Through The Fog"
                    Battle Cry: "I'm going to brutalize you so hard,
                    The devil himself will plead for mercy! ! ! ! !"

                  • Carol Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 22 1:39 PM

                      Message: 1
                      Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
                      From: Diana Rodriguez Whitton
                      Subject: Re: garment districts

                      Hello-
                      Chicago and I belive Kansas City have pretty good garment districts....Not so sure about Kansas City but I know Chicago for sure.

                      Diana

                      Diana, I certainly know of a few good fabric stores in the Chicago area, but could you tell me what you mean by a "garment district"?

                      Carol Mitchell listowner costumemidwest@yahoogroups.com

                      See www.chicostume.org to check out our costumed Halloween party (November 2), our meeting including a headdress workshop and Cirque de Soleil makeup demo, and the masquerade and costuming panels at WindyCon November 6-8 www.windycon.org