Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: dying leather

  • Sylvia
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
      Definitely dye the pieces before sewing.

      From: "Bryna Chandler" <brynachndlr@...>
      Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:48:06 -0000
      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: dying leather

      If you had a choice would you recomend dying the leather before or
      after you cut/sew the garment. I have 2 hides of a dark Grey that
      need to be black for some ren. doublets- and I am not sure wheather
      to dye them first or after they are sewn.
      I am guessing it would be easyier to dye first. But might get a more
      uniform color if you dye second.

      Any opinions ?
      Bryna
      A first time poster

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, FergusMackessock@a...
      wrote:
      > In a message dated 10/1/2003 1:23:08 AM Central Standard Time,
      > dekejis@y... writes:
      >
      > I used Angelus leather dye on my last project and was really happy
      > with it, and it's available online. You might also look into
      getting
      > a leather preparer to strip the finish off and some of the dye out
      > before you start dyeing so the new color will take.
      > Also, I've had some great success aging leather items with
      sandpaper.
      > Hope that helps some
      >
      > ta!
      > Hey D, do you have a link to their web site?
      >

      > Fergus MacKessock
      > Wandering Highlander
      > #1 Pirate in Kit's Pucker Pirates
      > Drunken Gnome #: 29
      > Gnome Gname: Gneomorphic (Gneo) Gnome
      > LNC/CPL in the Scottish Fencibles
      > Hawser Monkey serving aboard The Dark Scorpion
      > Booser
      > Private Goober
      > Guardian of The Realm Beneath The Table
      > Guide of The Way Through Fog