Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Need Tattoo Ideas

  • valerie
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
      Hi Damita,
      I'd advise against using black henna - Henna doesn't come in black
      naturally, so usually what's used to make it black is similar to what you'd
      find in black hair dye. Chemicals which some people are dangerously
      allergic to.
      I don't know if you need all the tattoos to look different, but if you can
      get by with a few similar ones, maybe rubber stamps? Like a large custom
      stamp (heart, anchor, etc) in black and then colored in (simply) with
      non-toxic markers. I know you can also produce your own temp tattoos with
      kits designed for your inkjet printer. Hope this helps!
      -
      Valerie

    • lanorte1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
        I did tattoos on "Cherokees" for the Kentucky Cycle with Crayola washable
        markers. The designs were simple, so it didn't take long to do every evening.

        For more complex designs, you might try making a stencil, which would be
        time-consuming up front, but easy to replicate each night.

        On another production of Rashomon, the Bandit had an elaborate dragon tattoo
        on his back; I think we did that with permanent marker, and just touched it up
        late in the run when it started to fade. Fortunately, the actor didn't mind
        living with that for a couple of weeks afterwards.

        Good luck

        Donna

      • DARK GOD
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
          if you can airbrish just make some stencles slap em on spray them over also
          you can get tatto marker pens that come off with alcahol also what about
          tattoo film you can get for your printer its like a thin clear membrain that
          takes the ink from your printer then you just cut it out peel it off and
          stick it on it works suprisingly well i did a whole moury face once which
          every one thought was great but it was a bit wrinkly as the film will flex
          but not as much as the skin on your face but for arms or any were else on
          your body it would work well.

          >From: "Damita Peace" <damitapeace@...>
          >To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Need Tattoo Ideas
          >Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:43:06 -0400
          >
          >Hello all-
          >
          >I need ideas for doing tattoos (quite a few) for a college theatre
          >production.
          >
          >I have thought about buying temp. tattoos (gets expensive).
          >
          >I have thought about henna tattoos with black henna. Anyone tried this?
          >
          >I'm looking into permanent markers with Haz/Mat people to see the dangers.
          >
          >I have the set up to airbrush - but every night will take manpower that I
          >may not have.
          >
          >Anyone else have good ideas???
          >
          >Thanks- Damita Peace - Costume Designer
          >National Technical Institute for the Deaf

        • amy kucharik
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
            (re: I need ideas for doing tattoos (quite a few) for a college theatre
            production.)

            Damita,
            There is a product called "Temptu" that was invented for costume tattooing. It's not cheap, but would probably go much further than store-bought temporary tattoos, and it would allow you more freedom with the tattoos you can make. http://www.temptu.com/

            I also know someone who used Sharpie markers for temporary tattoos in a fashion show; they look pretty good but don't last long (and you might want to test skin sensitivity -- I don't know how safe this is).