pregnancy padding

  • Angelica Harmon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2000
      Does anyone have an idea how I can find a pregnancy suit? Or possibly
      another idea on how to do the padding I need to play a pregnant
      character? I know they must be out there somewhere, but I've looked
      for almost a week without even a shred of luck. Any help would be
      greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Angelica
    • Sarah P
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2000
        Can you sew? Even a whipstitch would work. Okay, pregnancy padding is
        pretty simple. Get a close-fitting white t-shirt that comes down to almost
        the hipline, and another of maybe one size larger or the same size. If you
        have a dressform, you're in luck. If not, see if you can borrow one from a
        friend, a local theatre company, school theatre department, or fabric store,
        because you'd probably rather sew on something that won't hurt if it gets
        stuck with a pin or needle. ^_^ Also get a roll of quilt batting.

        On the t-shirt, the padding will go where the belly and bust are on the
        person. For a pregnancy belly, it is centered a little bit lower than what
        people generally consider to be the stomach--the belly-button or navel is in
        the middle more or less. Start by marking in pencil where the belly is to
        go on the body--this is usually from the sides of the waist to the lower
        abdomen to the bottom of the ribcage, a sort of circular area. Also mark
        where the bust is--this is for adding some padding here, too.

        Once this is done, measure and trace the circular area onto paper, measuring
        across in four directions with a measuring tape (looks like a ruler as a
        ribbon, trust me a Stanley measuring tape like you'd find at Home Depot
        won't work as well--I've known people who tried to take their measurements
        with this sort of thing! no joke.), measuring vertically top-bottom,
        horizontally side-side, and diagonally across side-side. From the center
        point measurement, transfer these measurements onto paper and re-draw the
        circular area connecting the points. This is the base pattern for the
        belly. Using the paper pattern, cut out the bottom layer of batting and
        attach to the t-shirt. Continue with successive layers until the desired
        size of belly is reached. (Four months along is smaller than nine months.)
        The size of each layer will become smaller for every layer applied,
        shrinking in circumference by 1 or 1 1/2 inches per layer. This allows for
        a rounding effect. For larger pregnancy bellies, I wouldn't trim layers
        until after two or so layers have been attached.

        When the belly is the size you want, add a final layer over the entire belly
        area and wrapping around to the sides beyond the edge of the first layer so
        it smooths the edges and fills any gaps between layers. Sometimes I trim the
        edges of this last layer thinner on the outside to blend it with the main
        part of the shirt. Do the same layering with the bust area, making the
        layers fewer and trim all of them to follow the contour of the normal bust,
        meeting at the outside edges to the t-shirt.

        Lightly stitching each layer to the one below it works best for me. With
        the second t-shirt, pull it over the one with the padding and stitch it to
        the first one along the neckline, armholes, and bottom hem, also along the
        back and sides under the armseye (armhole--side seams to belly padding).
        Some people have also added a "button" of fabric to mimic the navel on the
        belly padding. This is usually optional. I also like to add a sort of wide
        strap that connects the front to the back of the shirts, making it fit like
        a leotard. This is attached on one end with good-sized snaps and keeps the
        shirt from riding up or moving around.

        I know there are different ways of making pregnancy padding, some that are
        belly only and aren't on a shirt base at all but are padding encased in
        something like a pillow and tie or strap around. From experience, I like
        the t-shirt method best, and use it for many kinds of body suits where
        padding is needed. It's cheaper than buying a body suit, washes pretty well
        (if the layers of padding are stitched down to the one below, it isn't as
        likely to bunch-up and get lumpy in the wash), and fits. You can also find
        all materials at your local store such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Venture (Chicago
        area), and other such stores that sell clothes and fabric-craft-quilting
        supplies. Hope this helps!

        ****Raven****
        ^_^

        >From: "Angelica Harmon" <lilithschilde@...>
        >To: TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com
        >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] pregnancy padding
        >Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:31:29 -0000
        >
        >Does anyone have an idea how I can find a pregnancy suit? Or possibly
        >another idea on how to do the padding I need to play a pregnant
        >character? I know they must be out there somewhere, but I've looked
        >for almost a week without even a shred of luck. Any help would be
        >greatly appreciated.
        >
        >Thanks!
        >Angelica

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Patricia (Coopie) Mason
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2000
          The same idea but based on an old or (inexpensive) leotard, works really,
          really well. It;s very natural looking and stays where you want it. I have
          an objection to babies who wander, especially when the actress sits down! I
          cut away around the breasts and then augment them separately if necessary.
          Cover with tricot or lycra.
          Coopie